malicious mms vulnerability/virus?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Itstheradman, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Itstheradman macrumors newbie

hey guys,

something weird happened tonight. i received a group mms from someone in my contact list that i have not talked to in ages, and i replied to this message, and received the following text back "thank you for your subscription to redco*ks.com" with my original reply below it. the mms was a picture of a pen0r. the person that sent it was a girl, and sent it to me, and two other numbers that i did not recognize.

i am a little concerned... is there some vulnerability?
    i've tried searching everywhere, and can't find anything.

i put my phone in airplane mode for now, since i don't know if something will be sent to people in my contact list. thoughts?

thanks in advance.

2. Goaliegeek macrumors 6502a

Goaliegeek

LOL. well. Only thing I'd say is you might get telemarketers calling you or something. Other than that, I got no idea.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sounds like the person you responded to just by sending a text reply subscribed your cellphone number to some kind of service. Not sure if its free or paid but find out exactly what that company is does and if it charges. Also call your carrier if you want assistance in removing it from your account.
    Its not a virus or an exploit, it can be done on any cellphone thru texting.

4. Itstheradman thread starter macrumors newbie

hmmm, i'll give at&t a call and see what they say. it's just strange that i received the mms from someone i know though... it wasn't a random number. that's what confuses me.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Also call up the person that send you the MMS that you responded to and find out what it was about. And why you got an autoreply stating you have been subscribed to a service.

6. Itstheradman thread starter macrumors newbie

tried calling but it went to voicemail... sent her an email. we'll see.

looking at the message again though, it's a little strange... it seems to be in my outgoing box, and has the two numbers i don't know, and my friend's number. what is going on?

Attached Files: