Mall opens @ 5am. Will not allow people on property until then.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sjn419, Jun 17, 2010.

1. sjn419 macrumors regular

What would be best strategy to be first in line. Their rule is no overnight parking but showing up at 4am isn't overnight right? How would you guys handle the situation?

2. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Just park in an adjacent parking lot around 4 AM, and haul ass to the best entrance starting at 5AM. Then once inside the mall once they open, haul ass once again to the Apple Store.

3. CJayC macrumors 6502

I would arrive at around 2 or 3 AM and park at a nearby fast food restaurant place or gas station or ANYTHING nearby and walk to the mall entrance closest to the Apple Store and let the waiting game begin.

4. fuzion macrumors 6502

5. BlueGummiBear macrumors 6502a

BlueGummiBear

Does camping in a tent in a parking lot count as "parking"? :)

6. 46Chromeboy macrumors newbie

7. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

No prob. Get a costume like this. It will fool Paul Blart guar-ron-teed.

[​IMG]

8. sjn419 thread starter macrumors regular

Hmmm If I park off property can I wait at the entrance???? Can they make me leave on the basis of loitering or something

9. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Only until the real police come. Then you'll have to wait in the squad car.

10. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

I remember this scenario from last year when my brother and I went at 5AM to Menlo Park Mall, Edison, NJ for our 3GS's.

The guard was hanging out and circling the top level of the mall parking lot, and anyone that came up the ramp had to turn around and go back down.

I was lucky enough to park on the bottom level and take the staircase all the way up, just hiding out of view of the security guard. A small gathering of people quickly formed behind us.

Just a few minutes later, a mob from the outer ring of the parking lot came running to us, screaming that they were here all night and they should be allowed first. You can imagine how that went down. Security got wind of our presence, and even though he recognized some of the people he turned away and who stayed overnight, we remained in our spots until they allowed us in the mall.

That was all fine and dandy, until we found other people were already on a line INSIDE THE MALL.. they happened to actually sneak into the mall from another entrance and were hiding in those corridors behind and between the stores.

I don't condone sneaking into the property, but if you don't, someone else will.

11. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

If I were you, I'd prep the day before. Paint your entire body to look like an Express store (or perhaps The Gap) and just stand next to said store around closing time the night before. Guard walks by, notices nothing, locks up and BAM! You're #1 in line at 5am.

12. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

LOL. This is a Zack Morris-type plan. It helped them get U2 tickets.

13. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

That's fine and dandy but I think this would work better: Mall Security Costume 10.0

[​IMG]

14. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

That is crazy and that's why I couldn't deal with the mall situation. Too many variables and everytime you think you 1UP a situation somebody 1UP you as well.

15. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

This story made me LOL. Always someone to one up ya!

16. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

Whew. These stories make me even happier I'm having mine shipped.

17. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Are all these stories about people without reserved phones? Because I can kind of see the big deal if you think you might not get a phone.

But otherwise...geez...I've never seen such heroic attempts to spend hours of comando-style tactics just to avoid waiting in a 3 hour line.

18. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Even with a reserved phone you gotta stand in line. For me it will be about getting in and out in time to make it to work. My boss knows what I'll be doing that day, but I'll do my best to make sure I don't show up late. And if I do, then I'll just work late...which takes away precious me+iPhone 4 time after work. :p

19. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yeah, and I plan on doing the line-thing too. But the numbers just don't add up.

My guess:
    Come at midnight, leave by 8 AM.
    Come at 5 AM, leave by 10 AM.

That's 3 less hours of waiting and I'll get a bit of sleep first.

20. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Yeah, I'll be coming around 4-5am. I'll do a drive-by the night before just to check out the status.

21. sparkomatic macrumors 6502a

sparkomatic

Hilarious! I could just see someone dressed like this at the mall trying to be sneaky. If someone actually did dress up like this, they deserve to be left alone...haha

22. BlueGummiBear macrumors 6502a

BlueGummiBear

Bribe the security guard with a winning combination of beer, donuts and cash. Worked for me when the 3G's came out.

23. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

24. hipvamore macrumors regular

haha do i miss that show. great episode

25. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Clearly the 12 hours you spend skulking around and hiding take less time than the three you would have spent in line....oh wait.