malware and time machine

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iCheese, Jan 26, 2009.

1. iCheese macrumors regular

I visited a Russian website that I have always read in the past, but this was the first time I visited since the new Safari came out. Anyways, Safari came up with the Malicious Website warning. This was odd as it isn't a warez website or anything close to what you would normally associate malware with. Anyways, I knew I was on a Mac which is relatively secure, so I went ahead and ignored the warning and loaded the page.

I think I am fine, but now I am wondering:

1. What are the odds that something actually was able to download and install itself on my computer, to infect it (unlikely I am sure)

2. In theory, if I did install something malicious, would it be preserved in Time Machine which would allow it to rear its ugly head if I were to ever do a restore from my Time Machine drive?

2. kolax macrumors G3

Unless you knowingly downloaded anything and entered your account password for the malware to install, you're safe.

3. iCheese thread starter macrumors regular

I definitely did not knowingly download and install anything.

What exactly is the point of the Malicious Website warning feature in Safari. Is the feature mostly geared towards windows Safari users?

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

That, and to warn you against phishing sites and so forth.

5. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-iCheese

Most latest-version browsers have these security features built in. A "Malicious Website" could take several forms, one kind is a 'phishing' site, and it doesn't matter what computer you are using - it's to grab your credit card number. Computer is just the conduit.

6. iCheese thread starter macrumors regular

I could have sworn that Safari had a different phishing specific warning, maybe I am wrong. That is one of the reasons why I was surprised when it bothered bringing up the Malicious Website warning.