"Malware Detected!"

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Probusone, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Probusone macrumors newbie

Probusone

Anybody else receive the macekrrz.com malady using Safari? (see attached)

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

It's certainly not legit and a scareware popup. It may have come up depending on what websites you've been visiting.

If you want to err on the side of caution, you can run a quick scan through MalwareBytes for Mac to identify any potential infections.

Best wishes and hope you have a great weekend.

3. Probusone thread starter macrumors newbie

Probusone

Thanks for the speedy reply. The problem is, it's not merely a splash screen. It completely disables Safari.

Have a great weekend yourself!

4. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Cmd + Alt + Esc to bring up Force Quit for Safari, best to run MWB scan after you reopen. Please quote this if you're still having issues :)

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I use Chrome. I disable plug-ins and have scripts ask for permission. You would not believe how many pop-ups get around blockers by being pushed via Flash instead.

6. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

First, I would download Malwarebytes Ani-Malware for Mac and check the machine as keysofanxiety suggested.
    Secondly, I would install an ad-blocker like AdBlock, AdBlock Plus, uBlock or any other. These should block the pop-ups as well.
    Thirdly, I would check the Safari Extensions. If you happen to find anything that you don't use, haven't installed, uninstall it.
    Reboot.

7. Probusone thread starter macrumors newbie

Probusone

Thank you. All good advice. I am unable to install the MWB application.

8. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

There really is no "install"
    The app downloads when you click the link that keysofanxiety posted.
    Double-click the downloaded file, then drag the app to a convenient location. The image will suggest that you can copy it to your Applications folder, but you are not limited to that.
    Double-click on the app, then click the Scan button. Should give you results in less than a minute.

Are you saying that you can't even download the app?
    If you can, please give some more details about what happens when you try to use the app.

9. Probusone thread starter macrumors newbie

Probusone

The question that begins your second paragraph applies to the case. Specifically, I went to malwarebytes.org/mwb-download and hit the Download Now link. I then selected the Save File option for the mbam-setup-2.1.8.1057.exe file. The downloaded file then appears in the Downloads section of the Finder window, and when I click it, I have to confirm that I want to download this Windows application, which I do. I get the attached (see screenshot).

FYI, the recommended ad blocker software downloaded as expected and without incident.

Attached Files:

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/mac/

You need to DL the Mac version here.

It is not a bad idea to run the malware app just for grins, but it sounds more like you just got hijacked by a Javascript popup. Just command-q quit Safari then hold the option key when you relaunch it to prevent being redirected back to the hijack site.

11. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Yes, the .exe that you decided to download won't do anything on your Mac.
    There's no mystery about that - It's Windows-only, and cannot install or run on your Mac, whilst running OS X.

12. Probusone thread starter macrumors newbie

Probusone

You're my hero, thank you! Everything worked great and your postulation was correct. Best wishes.