Malware (Fake or Real?)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by broy1, Nov 9, 2010.

1. broy1 macrumors newbie

I was searching the net using Safari on this college funny site when a pop-up appeared. It said something like click here to continue. I had no option of closing the window so I clicked okay and immediately closed the next pop-up window.

I'm a little worried because the second pop-up window looked like a regular windows/mac file folder that was downloading something. I'm not sure if it's fake or not. Everything seems to be running fine so far. I have Norton Anti-virus on my Mac. Any insights? :confused:

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Fake, as it obviously looked like a Windows window, and Mac OS X does not look like Windows.

Btw, Norton could be considered "malware" itself, as it uses CPU cycles and is hard to remove (at least it was on Windows).
    There is no real need for AV software if you employ common sense and don't install any software you don't trust the source it came from.

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Unless you start seeing strange things happening I wouldn't worry about it. It didn't ask for your Admin password so can't do much damage.

4. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

might have been something nasty for a PC ... but probably harmless to your Mac :cool:

5. broy1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info! And good link spinnerlys :)

6. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

You could try Sophos Anti Virus for Mac. Its free. And not heavy on CPU. A lot better than Norton.