Malware fix

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Mac'nCheese, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

My friend asked me this and I have no idea:

If his iphone has malware on it, would hitting erase all content and settings get rid of the malware?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Is he jb?
    There is no malware for the iPhone and if he is jb an erase all will not work. It wi be stuck at the apple logo.
    Tell him to restore instead but if he's stock there is no malware for the iPhone unless he got an android:)

3. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

He isn't jb so he must be paranoid. He won't tell me whats wrong, just WHAT IF WHAT IF. I'll pass along your response. Thank u.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

5. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

That's funny because his next question is: " Ask like are there apps that someone might download without you knowing, and copy all key strokes or take control of phone externally?"

I'm pretty sure I know the answer but curious to get some expert opinions...

6. stickybuns macrumors 6502

Wow.

Ahem, I received my medical doctorate from the university of the Interwebs having earned my B.S. in B.S., so I know exactly what I'm talking about. A consultation with the esteemed medical journal "WebMD" has led me to conclude that your friend should be committed post haste. Either that, or he should switch to using prepaid dumb phones if he's *that* worried about it.

7. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I can't wait to forward him your post! Love it!!!

8. stickybuns macrumors 6502

A bit more practical advice: presuming that the screening process for the App Store isn't deeply, deeply, deeply flawed, there is very little concern for malware infected apps.
    What could potentially be of concern is sensitive information being intercepted over a non-password protected Internet connection. Assuming your friend is concerned about his credit card being stolen rather than about the black helicopters coming to get him, just remind him to save online shopping for when he's on his home network (whenever possible), to use strong passwords (and not the same ones for everything), and to check his credit report regularly. Even if he doesn't own a smartphone, his bank and credit info will have exposure to the Internet in some way. So, really, being a Luddite isn't the answer. Best bet is to be reasonably vigilant while still enjoying the benefits of modern technology.

9. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I'll pass this along too.. thank u

10. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

Apple would not allow things like that into the appstore. Only way to get malware is by jailbreaking and usually even stuff in there doesn't have malware. He shouldn't even think of it.

If there was virus's, Apple would have a virus scanner on it.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, nothing like that will ever be allowed in the AppStore.
    And since he is stock there's no chance he has malware or spyware.
    What Made him think that though? There's gotta be something that spooked him.

12. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

he wont tell me. weird, right?

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, he is:)