Malware in my mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rei101, Apr 5, 2015.

1. rei101 macrumors 6502a

Hi guys

I believe I have installed something by mistake in my mac, I am getting warning on this computer all the time.

Is there a reliable way to find out and a software to clean up the mess that you can recommend?

Thank you.

2. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

It would be helpful for you to list any symptoms you're experiencing as well as any error messages. Do you remember the name of the app you accidentally installed?

3. rei101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I believe I downloaded the one with the robot that tells you to fix your mac, I was downloading some fonts and I installed that. And today I got a message to call a phone number because the mac was infected and I was not able to close the window and I had to use force quit in Google Chrome.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Sounds like MacKeeper. Follow this to remove it. Then also run AdwareMedic to look for any other adware you may have on there.

5. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

If you received the message in Google Chrome, it was likely a website displaying a scam advertisement. Those advertisements are designed to make you feel vulnerable and jump through hoops that will end in your rights and privacy being violated. If it was only a website message/advertisement you can safely ignore it.

6. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

It could be either, or both of the above diagnoses. If it's a persistent/scam tech support pop-up, this covers how to deal with it: http://www.thesafemac.com/tech-support-scam-pop-ups/#more-1796 It covers this issue for Chrome, Safari, and Firefox.

7. Fez Vrasta macrumors member

Fez Vrasta

If you see errors only on your browser, probably some adware got installed on the browser itself.

If the warnings are inside your OS X then you may try to scan your Mac with ClamXav, it's a open source antivirus which runs only when you ask to, so it will not slow down the mac.