Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Hi,

I've had an iPhone 6 since launch and today it's starting to do something that I've never seen before. A few seconds after waking the phone, I'm getting a white screen with the heading "airport.us"*, followed by the name of my Wi-Fi network and the text "Log In", a button labelled "Done", and the word "Success". This popup will then go away of its own accord if I do nothing.

I cannot take a screenshot of this popup. I get the usual "flash" animation, but the picture does not usually appear in Photos. The exception is if I switch to Photos quickly enough, in which case it does appear, but then Photos quits itself and the picture is missing the next time I open it.

I haven't heard of any real iOS malware, but this is exceedingly strange. Has anyone else run into this and do you know what could be causing it?

*I've seen other things here too, such as "appleiphonecell.com" and "ibook.info".

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I've seen this kind of thing on WiFi networks that are set up to ask you to login to them through a web site essentially before you can use them, and they can then remember your information and auto-login perhaps. Shouldn't be happening with a personal router/WiFi network, unless you are connecting to some other one (like a corporate one, or one from a business/hotel/school, or something like that).

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Hmm. I'm at work, but there's no website login required (just normal username/password through the Settings app). I've just checked the change log and no changes have been made to the Wi-Fi in the last week, so I don't understand why this has suddenly just started happening today. It also doesn't explain why screenshots are disappearing.

Edit: I've just asked a few other people in the office and they're getting it too. They also can't take screenshots of the message, and with the caption at the top changing each time it seems really suspicious.

Update: I reported this to IT and they seem to have taken the Wi-Fi down. The popups have stopped.

Last edited:

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Just an update: The screenshots ARE there, but the thumbnail is a blank white square so I simply couldn't see them until I took another photo (which appeared after all the squares). The Photos app quitting itself may have been a random glitch.

The Wi-Fi is still offline at work so we haven't run into the screen again yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.