iPhone X Malware on iOS 11

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MICHAELSD, Feb 13, 2018.

1. MICHAELSD, Feb 13, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2018

MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

My iPhone X had been experiencing lag which I simply could not explain for the past few weeks other than assuming that iOS 11 was poorly optimized since the A11 Bionic chip should be a beast. After dealing with “Congratulations Amazon user” popups intermittently on almost every site I visited, I decided to clear my Safari data and my iPhone X immediately went from inexplicably lagging every few seconds to becoming a silky smooth experience. Performance is night and day.

In my decade of iPhone ownership, I’ve never experienced anything like this. Somehow, what I’d have to assume to be malware had infiltrated my Safari cookies and was affecting my system performance.

I’m on 11.2.5, the latest iOS version.

Thankfully this is as simple as clearing Safari data, but I’m surprised to see this on my iPhone. Apple has superb security and I’m sure it’s an anomaly, just a heads-up.

2. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

I thought I read something about Facebook putting spyware on your iPhone too. Not sure I remember exactly what it said.

3. tkukoc, Feb 14, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2018

tkukoc macrumors 65816

tkukoc

Yeah it's their VPN association nonsense.

--below post...not directed toward anyone specifically.. just an FYI type of post--
    Also..I recommend people pick up an adblocker application for safari. That will cut down on some of those nasty popups. Do a search on this forum and see the topic, there's plenty to chose from.

4. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

Good ideas

I don’t use Facebook

Like 1Blocker on my iPhones and believe I got AdBlock on my rMBP

5. tkukoc macrumors 65816

tkukoc

Same :)

6. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

7. CTHarrryH macrumors 68000

I also regularly clear my Safari cache - for a variety of reasons. I also don't run Facebook on my IOS devices.
    I do run ad blockers.

8. raqball macrumors 68000

Same here!

1Blocker works great on iPhone and it's free unless you want advanced features which are not needed for basic ad blocking..

9. csurfr macrumors 68020

Have any of you used Blaze? It has an effective blocker built in. I haven’t spent too much time on it but it seems to be somewhat decent.

Is AdGuard a paid app I’m assuming? I guess I could just go look.

10. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

https://adguard.com/en/welcome.html

11. csurfr macrumors 68020

12. ddrulez macrumors regular

I had terrible lag on my iPad Pro too. After installing the newest iOS 11 beta5 the lag is gone! iOS 11 is a mess!

13. TiggrToo macrumors 6502a

TiggrToo

To be fair, you cannot state either way what caused the lag. It could easily have been overtly large caching or other internal shenanigans which was cleared/fixed simply by the act of installing the beta.

I've got both my iPhone 7+ and iPad Pro 9.7" on 11 and have experienced zero lag or other performance issues.

Obviously my milage varies from yours but it could well be that your app footprint and configuration lends your device to more lag than others.

14. ddrulez macrumors regular

Yeah but iOS 11 is known for having bugs. Even Apple recognized it and planned for iOS 12 less features now.
    But netherless if anyone have lag issues try the beta 5 out. But make a encrypted backup with your PC or Mac before apply it!

15. AlphaGuitarist macrumors 6502a

AlphaGuitarist

I don't have the lag issue, but every now and then I get the "Congratulations Amazon User" pop-ups when using Chrome. It's definitely not a Safari-exclusive issue.