Malware on Mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nycatalina, Sep 15, 2010.

1. nycatalina macrumors newbie

Hi All, this is the first time I've posted to a forum requesting help. So thank you in advance, and apologies if I leave something out.

I'm running OS 10.5.8 and using Firefox 3.5.7. When I Google something and click a result, 75% of the time I am redirected somewhere that was not the destination of the link. Other times I'll click a link and a giant white browser window will open behind current window taking up my whole screen. Another frequent occurrence is being directed to the site "theclickcheck.com".

I have a registered version of MacScan and it comes up with nothing and my software is up to date. Where do I go from here?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

4. nycatalina thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I have done that...

5. nycatalina thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the article. I'm unclear on how my DNS settings need to be checked, ie what I am looking for, and how they might relate to what's happening on my browser.

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

DNS settings can route you to another website, thus check the settings in System Preferences > Network > Ethernet / AirPort (choose what you use) > Advanced > DNS or check your router settings under DNS.

Btw, there have been some threads about this, MRoogle will help you find them, unless GGJstudios posts the links.

7. MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

1.) go to network settings and look at your DNS servers make a note of these

2.) go to the terminal and enter after the prompt:
    cat /etc/resolv.conf

Between these two places you can see all the DNS servers being used by your computer. Chances are you have something going on that will appear in the terminal.

Cheers