Malware on MBP?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iShane, Oct 20, 2011.

1. iShane macrumors 6502a

Hi guys,

I have a MacBook Pro and an iMac and I experience a strange issue on both machines. On occasion, when I type in a URL it will redirect me to a completely different website (some that I have never even been to) and no matter how many times I try, it will redirect me to that site for an amount of time, then it will randomly go back to normal. Other times it tells me that the "page is unavailable, etc etc." This happens on both Safari and Chrome. It seems to be getting worse and more frequent.

My question is, has anyone experienced this before? What can I do to get rid of it and prevent it in the future? Is it actually malware or is is an issue with my internet/router?

Thanks guys

2. SookieSam macrumors newbie

This problem your experienceing sure sounds to me like its an ISP issue.

You might want to ask them about it.

SookieSam

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released 10 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install. Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.
    Read the section "Why am I being redirected to other sites?" in the link above.