Malware on my mac ( Help needed please )

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Tetsy, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Tetsy macrumors member

Hi Guys i hope you can help me.
    Lately my iMac has been getting drop down popups when visiting ebay,Amazon and a few other websites even when visiting here ( MacRumors ) , The Malware popups are - ibadnxs.com and stags.bluekai.com , I have been reading forums and see that other mac users have had this problem, I read that if i downloaded the Komros Anti Malware & Adware app from the Mac App Store that would solve my problem.
    I just wanted to ask you guys if this is the right thing to do ? before i tried it.
    Many Thanks for reading this and any help will be much appreciated. Thanx

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Malwarebytes is what’s recommended most around here. Give that a try for free before buying anything.

3. Papanate macrumors 6502

Papanate

Depending on when the Popups showed up you could do a simple restore from
    Time Machine. Malware Bytes might be of help. Where did you go that these
    popups started showing up?

4. Tetsy thread starter macrumors member

Thanx for the replies
    I tried downloading Malware Bytes but i have osx Mavericks on my mac and it said its not compatable with this,should i update my mac ? or try something else.
    Thanks
    Thanks for your reply also papanate but tbh i have no idea what websites there from.

5. CoastalOR macrumors 68020

CoastalOR

See post #22 for a download link to v1.3.1 that will support Mavericks.
    https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/206573-support-for-v126/

6. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

OP:

I recommend that you take CoastalOR's suggestion above.
    Try this first -- then get back to us.

7. Tetsy thread starter macrumors member

Hi Guys
    Thanks for the replies , I decided to update my mac to macOS High Sierra and that seemed to solve my problem straight away but i thought i would download the free Malwarebytes for mac and just check the scan came up with nothing so i hope everything is ok, when i downloaded it a popup came up saying that my security and privacy setting where blocking it as I've the app store and identified developers checked is this normal ?

8. Fishrrman, Apr 12, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2018

Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

"i thought i would download the free Malwarebytes for mac and just check the scan came up with nothing so i hope everything is ok, when i downloaded it a popup came up saying that my security and privacy setting where blocking it as I've the app store and identified developers checked is this normal ?"

It's "normal" because Apple has [unreasonably] made it more and more difficult to run 3rd party software that is not in the Apple Store.
    (I sense they're gradually but relentlessly "pushing us" into the same walled garden for the Mac OS, as the one iOS is already in).

Here's what I suggest you do:
    - Open terminal
    - Enter this command (without the quotation marks:
    "sudo spctl --master-disable"
    (enter password when requested)

Now go to system preferences --> security & privacy.

You should see the choice "allow apps downloaded from" with the radio button "anywhere" there (it wasn't there until you entered the terminal command above).

Choose that selection if it's not already chosen (you may have to click the lock and enter your password).

Close system preferences and try MalWareBytes again.
    Any better?

9. Tetsy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your reply fishrman
    when i downloaded malwarebytes it told me it couldn't load because of my security preference and to go into my security general section as it had sent ( how do i put it - a ok button ) to allow it to download and then it loaded fine , i can only guess that apple don't class malware bytes as a identified developer and i just hope i did the rite thing and my mac is ok.
    Do you guys think this is a app worth keeping and running every month or so ? as i have deleted it already.
    Thanks again for the reply.

10. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman