Malware scanner

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ArtfulVini, May 6, 2011.

1. ArtfulVini macrumors newbie

Recently I've started getting Safari Windows with just ads, something I used to hate on Windows.

What's the best free Malware scanner for Mac?

Thanks

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Safari on OS X reminds me of IE on Windows. I suggest you run a different browser like Chrome or Firefox. Chrome is not as adept at blocking ads as Firefox. As for pages full of ads popping up in Safari, you can disable popups and even disable javascript if you like. Also I seem to remember there is a version of Adblock for Safari. Whatever you do, do NOT leave Safari's "automatically open safe files" switched on! There is very little malware out for OS X, but just within the last few days I heard of one that relied on people running Safari from an Admin account with "automatically open safe files" switched on. The symptom is you got a popup claiming to have found viruses and asking for your credit card to buy some sort of malware protection. It turns you would not be buying anything but you would be giving your credit card to phishers. As for the malware the so called software said it found, there is no such thing. The software that says it found the malware is one of the very few examples of OS X malware in the wild right now.

Never pay for antivirus software for OS X, even from Symantec or McAffee. If you must have antivirus software for peace of mind, I suggest the freeware ClamxAV.

3. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

In Safari use AdBlock and Click2Flash extensions and also turn 'block pop ups' on and you will forget what adverts look like. I havent seen one (or havent noticed any) for ages. :)

Regarding scanning for potential malware already on your system - the risk of which is quite low - I too advocate ClamxAV.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Are you thinking that you're infected with some sort of malware or are you looking just to block the ads?