Malware scare

Discussion in 'iMac' started by imacuser84, Jul 6, 2011.

1. imacuser84 macrumors newbie

Hi people,
    I recently went to a website and my whole safari went grey and a warning came up that this site is infected by malware and offered me to ignore the warning or leave the site. I just typed in yahoo.co.uk, I was wondering if this a normal thing what happens when you go to an infected site??
    Also am of typing I am using my Iantivirus and doing a check.

Thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

That is normal and is covered in the first part of the following link. With the 10.6.8 updated employed a new malware warning system. Btw, did you get the warning when you visited yahoo.co.uk?
    Mac Virus/Malware Info by GGJstudios
    There are currently no viruses for Mac OS X in public circulation, only a handful of trojans and other malware, which have to be installed manually via entering the administrator password.
    The only anti-virus you need to protect your Mac is education and common sense.

3. imacuser84 thread starter macrumors newbie

No when i typed into yahoo, the warning didn't come again.
    The warning wasn't a popup it was the safari mainpage (not homepage), the whole screen went grey and said this site has malware ignore this warning or continue, thats when I went directly to yahoo.co.uk.

My I antivirus says i am clean,

Thanks for your reply.

4. simsaladimbamba

Ah, I misunderstood.
    Read the Malware FAQ I provided to learn more about the few malware out there and to properly protect yourself, for instance, AV software is not needed.

5. imacuser84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help,

I don't think I have a malware issue wince i wasn't asked to download anything not was I asked about my password.

Thanks

6. iMouse macrumors regular

It sounds like he received the "Visiting this site may harm your computer" message that Safari displays, courtesy of Google Safe Browsing.

The website probably contained a malicious banner ad or script during the time you loaded it. This is pretty common when visiting torrent and warez sites, but can happen anywhere.

It doesn't mean your Mac is infected or a target for infection, it is just letting you know that content being hosted by the site was blacklisted for potentially containing malicious code.

See attachment...

Attached Files: