Malware Spam installed on OS X

Discussion in 'macOS' started by natjusaj, Jan 2, 2012.

1. natjusaj macrumors newbie

Jan 2, 2012
    Hi Hope some one can help in this matter.

When I am surfing certain sites ( No not port and torrent sites) and click on link to new page, I am directed to another page than intended by clicking the link. Most often to a commercial add site. I guess some mall ware is installed on my mac book Pro using OS X.

How can I detect what file is installed on the Mac and how can I remove it?

I have tried to reset Safari, but it didn't do the trick ?

2. simsaladimbamba

Nov 28, 2010
    Can the part titled "Why am I being redirected to other sites?" in the following FAQ help you?
    Mac Virus/Malware Info by GGJstudios
    There are currently no viruses for Mac OS X in public circulation, only a handful of trojans and other malware, which have to be installed manually via entering the administrator password.
    The only anti-virus you need to protect your Mac is education and common sense.

Btw, "malware" is not "spam".
  3. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Jan 11, 2007
    This thread had a -1 reply count on the Forum Spy.

I'm only here to make it a 0.

That, and to agree with Sims.
  4. natjusaj thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 2, 2012
    Ok thanks.

BUTR the big question. If its not malware or spam for that matter. How can I detect it on my mac and how can I remove it ?
  5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

May 16, 2008
    It has nothing to do with anything on your Mac that you need to remove. Did you read the post by simsaladimbamba? That tells you all you need to know.
  6. Mal macrumors 603

Jan 6, 2002
    Specifically, what you're likely dealing with is DNS redirection, which could have been achieved by your router being hacked (nothing to do with your computer). I believe that link has details on how to check and fix those types of problems.