Malware / Spambot being used on my network/machine

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sboerup, Aug 24, 2009.

1. sboerup macrumors 6502

I run a small business and use Cox communications for my internet service. Today my service was disconnected because they were getting a TON of reports of spam email being sent from my IP address. I understand the protocols and laws regarding SPAM and understand why they did it.

I don't understand how the SPAM got sent. I have my main Mac Pro that I use throughout the day. Sometimes I'll use my MBP during the day, but its very rare that I do. I connect with an Airport Express, with a wireless network with a very strong passcode and using WPA protection.

I just made the network hidden, so you cannot connect to the network unless you know the name and password. I just enabled MAC address filtering and added my 2 computers to further enhance the security of my network.

The last variable would be software running on my computer, without my knowledge, that is sending the information. Is there any software out there that will better tell me if any processes are indeed malware/spam? Is LittleSnitch going to help me see if there is a process running in the background sending out information?

Any help is appreciated!

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Little Snitch will tell you if something is accessing the network.

Are you running a VM by chance? Or have you installed any torrented software?

3. sboerup thread starter macrumors 6502

I do run a VM of XP with Parallels, only for Quickbooks accounting, thats it. But, that is only running for a brief period of time, once I'm done its shut down.

The only torrent downloads was for redsn0w to jailbreak my 3Gs. I figured that was a safe download straight from the dev team.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Were you running the VM this morning? I'd run a virus scan on it.

Running ClamX AV on your Macs probably couldn't hurt either ...