Malware warning only on Safari, need to remove!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ianiswas, Jan 9, 2009.

1. ianiswas macrumors newbie

Has anyone figured out how to remove the Malware warning from google? My website www.ianiswas.com has been affected by this, but only when using Safari. I have read a few posts, but they have not been super helpful. I called my host company, they see nothing wrong, I looked at the coding, of which I am not an expert, and found nothing wrong. Can someone save me?

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I just went there in Safari (3.x up to date) and didn't get a warning.

3. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

I didn't get any warnings. I opened your link, searched for your site in google, and everything was fine.

4. ianiswas thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, but you probably have your preferences changed to not warn you, because I continue to get the warning unless I uncheck the box. I need to figure out how to have it removed for other viewers with the security box checked. any help?

5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Nope. My warnings work on other known "naughty" sites. Maybe you need to reset Safari. Did you even try looking at your site on a different machine?

6. kolax macrumors G3

I have it enabled.

No warnings here.

7. rfrankl macrumors 6502

My warnings are on too, and your site worked fine for me.

8. ianiswas thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I get the warning on my home desktop, with the updated Safari version, but I do not get it on my laptop, with an older safari. A friend just emailed me and said she gets a warning on her home computer.

9. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Maybe your ISP is stupid or something...

10. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

I don't get the warning if I visit the site directly, or if I get to the site via Google. However I can trigger the warning if I try to visit the Google cached version.

I thought that the warning was displayed if the site is listed on a blacklist, rather than by the detection of malware etc...

11. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

How do you get to a google cached version?

12. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

Enter the website address into google and search, then instead of clicking the main link on the search result click the "Cached" link.

13. ianiswas thread starter macrumors newbie

blacklist? it is only a site of non-offensive sculpture, so far it may be comcast, my isp, but I still can't figure out why I get the warning in the first place

14. ianiswas thread starter macrumors newbie

I also tried the cached version and I don't get the warning on my laptop but do on my desktop. I have no clue, this is insane, perhaps I should just buy a new domain

15. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

black listing occurs when your site has been found to contain malicious code. Contact whoever blacklisted your site and ask them to review it again.

16. ianiswas thread starter macrumors newbie

does this look like bad code? I am looking through my site, and this looks out of place. any thoughts on what I should look for?

<script language="JavaScript" type="text/JavaScript">
    <!--
    function MM_reloadPage(init) { //reloads the window if Nav4 resized
    if (init==true) with (navigator) {if ((appName=="Netscape")&&(parseInt(appVersion)==4)) {
    document.MM_pgW=innerWidth; document.MM_pgH=innerHeight; onresize=MM_reloadPage; }}
    else if (innerWidth!=document.MM_pgW || innerHeight!=document.MM_pgH) location.reload();
    }
    MM_reloadPage(true);
    //-->
    </script>
    </head>

17. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

I don't get a warning from either the real website or the cached one (this is in camino). however a PDF popped up in my download stack after i navigated to the cached site and hit some random keyboard buttons…:confused:

18. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

That looks fine to me. I'm just barely learning CSS and can't really tell what's going on in javascript, but to me that looks like it changes the window if the user is browsing the site in netscape.

19. kolax macrumors G3

20. ianiswas thread starter macrumors newbie

21. kolax macrumors G3

It isn't necessarily "bad" code - it just isn't following conventions (CSS for font colour, table background, style etc, I haven't looked at your source code, so can't comment on yours specifically).

Reason these conventions are a big thing (and why passing this validator is a big thing) is so your website appears exactly the same and functions exactly the same across multiple platforms and web browsers.

Note that this doesn't have anything to do with the Safari Malware warning - just a general comment on web design and what you should aim to follow.

22. ianiswas thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for all the help, I reset safari and emptied the cache, and the warning is gone. Unfortunately, this does not solve the root of the problem, as i cant tell everyone to reset their machines, so who knows?