Malware?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Newmacer2, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Newmacer2 macrumors regular

I think I may have some malware on my iPhone. The only place it appears in on my Yahoo e-mail. Ads are at the top of my inbox. These ads don't appear on my Yahoo account on my iMac, just on my iPhone. Short of deleting my Yahoo account and going totally with Gmail, is there any way to get rid of this problem? Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

2. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

Are you sure the ads aren't a part of the mail app you are using? You can't really get malware on an iPhone.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its not malware. No malware exist currently for the iphone or ios.

4. Newmacer2, Feb 12, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2014

Newmacer2 thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I thought it was the Yahoo app too, so I deleted the app and went into my Yahoo mail through the regular Internet. The ads are still in my inbox.

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

What kind of ads are you seeing? Where are they located exactly? Perhaps you can take a screenshot even?

6. Newmacer2 thread starter macrumors regular

They are at the top if my last legitimate email message as if I just received it. Everything from Progressive insurance ads to ads for dating sites. I'm not sure how to make a screen print in my iPhone. I know how with my iMac but the ads don't show up on the computer.

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

So open the Yahoo! Mail app, and when you are in the inbox the first message that appears like a real message is actually an ad instead (but looks just like another message)?

To take a screenshot on an iOS device you simply press the lock/sleep button (on the top right) and the home button (at the bottom center) together and that takes a screenshot and saves the picture into your photos from where you can send it or upload it or do what you would like with it (like any other photo).

8. Newmacer2 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, you stated it exactly right. Thanks for the instructions on making screen prints. I am attaching it here. I deleted all my emails but you can see where the ad is above where they were.

Attached Files:

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That is an ad from Yahoo's mobile mail site. You can't remove it.

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

Seems like an ad from Yahoo!.

Do you get that if you use the Yahoo! Mail app? Is it like that anywhere else--basically appears exactly the same way on other sites for example?

11. Newmacer2 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, it just started yesterday with the mail app. I deleted the app because of it. But it remained on my regular Yahoo too. I just got another ad for dating women over 50. Is that Yahoo too? I guess I'm getting rid of Yahoo altogether. Thanks everyone.

12. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Use the built in iOS Mail app. You won't have ads with it, other than spam email messages.

13. Newmacer2 thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry to sound stupid, but I'm not following. Where do I find this IOS app?

14. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

On your homescreen. It's icon is blue with a white envelope. You must first setup your Yahoo account in Settings.

15. Radiating macrumors 65816

Yeah that's not malware, the company is putting ads in it's own program.

16. Newmacer2 thread starter macrumors regular

Oh, okay. I'm starting to understand now. The Yahoo app I had before wasn't setup this way. I'll give it a try. Thanks so much.

17. Newmacer2 thread starter macrumors regular

It worked great! Thank you very much.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced