MAMP FTP Users

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by djab, Dec 17, 2009.

1. djab macrumors newbie

I am trying to make some new FTP accounts for my MAMP Server. How do i do this? Can i configure them to have a root directory of another folder?

Thanks

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

You need to setup a FTP server. It's independent of MAMP.

3. Bostonaholic macrumors 6502

Bostonaholic

MAMP doesn't use FTP. I'm not sure what it is you're trying to accomplish. Please elaborate so we can help.

4. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

If you wish, you may use FTP built into Mac OS X and integrate it with MAMP and file sharing stuff also on your Mac.

Follow these instructions

As to your second question, that's not suggested because directories are owned by certain users and conflicts can occur. But you can do it. FTP access from the world to your Mac isn't suggested either - MAMP is intended to be used as a localhost sandbox, within a LAN or just on your PC via localhost. Otherwise, security issues galore, not to mention many ISP's close the port, slow performance as upstream rates are often considerably slower than downstream and workarounds required for dynamic IP's.

FYI

-jim

5. djab thread starter macrumors newbie

My question was hot to make FTP users without having to make a whole new Mac OS X account for them on the computer. I figured out how to do this. I used PureFTPd and its great. Its exactly what i needed.

Thanks anyway!