MAMP issues

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by cool11, Sep 28, 2016.

1. cool11 macrumors 65816

cool11

Yesterday I decided to install the new version of mamp, version 4.
    During and after the installation, it displayed a message about upgrading my database to a newer mysql version. I did it, and I did not saw any errors.
    But then, my site did not function, nothing displayed in my browsers, just a blank page, no error messages, nothing!
    It is the first time through all the years I use mamp, that I have such issue.

Where is the problem?
    What happened and now I can't see my local site?
    Should I check something or change something in my connection php page?
    I hope somebody can help me to solve this problem, as after this upgrading I can't browse my local site.

2. Starfia macrumors 6502

Starfia

Oh, gosh – that sounds horrible. I upgraded to MAMP 4 yesterday with no problems, including that database upgrade step.

Starting simple: after upgrading MAMP, I noticed I had to reset my root directory in Preferences > Web Server. Have you done that?

3. smirking macrumors 6502a

Are you on MAMP or MAMP PRO? I'm a MAMP PRO user and I had some serious problems after upgrading to 4 myself. It really killed about a weekend for me because I have dozens of sites on it. I had to reinstall a number of my databases after the upgrade. The databases supposedly were upgraded ok, but I kept getting MYSQL connection errors. Normally that means you used bad credentials, but mine were correct. I had to drop and reinstall the databases in PHPMyAdmin.

I initially pulled out some backup DB dumps to reinstall the DBs, but then I found that if I simply exported the current version of the DB and reimported, it would work.

4. cool11 thread starter macrumors 65816

cool11

I have to check it, as now I am not on mac, and I reversed back to version 3.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 30, 2016 ---

I have mamp free(not pro). Not much difference in the core thing, as Pro just unlocks some features of the same package.

So, it seems that there are problems with version 4, not only in me, but with you also, and possibly with others too.
    For the first time in years, since I use this package for many years.

Do you believe there something wrong with the 'upgrading' of the databases from the mamp?
    Easy workaround for this?

I am not forced to go to version 4, so maybe it is a good idea to wait to fix it in a new version of mamp?
    They have frequent updates now, as I see in their site, possibly due to bug fixes...

Or can I do something by myself, for example with a software like navicat?

What is the problem? And what you suggest?

5. smirking macrumors 6502a

If you're a developer, the PRO version is totally worth it, but sure if you're working on your own site it does plenty.

I've had problems with it before, but not this badly.

Yes there was a DB problem in my case. The fix is just to export the DB and reimport it.

I'd wait. The main improvements are that you get to run Perl, Ruby, Python, and Nginx. If you don't use any of those, there really isn't a reason to upgrade at all.

I can't answer that question based on anything you've told me so far. What kind of site is it? Are you getting any error messages in your php logs? Are you able to load static html pages? Can you access phpMyAdmin? Did you try reimporting the database?