Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Twunting Jobsworthy twunt!!

I got refused once!
I didn't have any ID on me. So I went home got some and went back. Demanded to see the store manager and made the sales staff apologise as they were *******ing when they refused me. So I suggested they were ****ing around and they got reprimanded right then and there!

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
If I remember rightly from my time in the wines and spirits profession, technically speaking it doesn’t matter how old the individual is – if they’ve been challenged for ID and they’re unable to provide you with any, then you can’t serve them.

However, it was bloody stupid to ask this guy for ID in the first place. There's no photo of the gentleman in question on the article, but I think it's safe to assume that he certainly appeared to be over 21.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
that's rich. :rolleyes:

like the amputee who was asked to prove his disability before being let on the bus. link

Must be graduates of the WTF university.

Southern

macrumors regular
May 15, 2007
London, UK
Must be graduates of the WTF university.

Hahaha, I laughed. Our office was incredulous when we read this article on the Beeb yesterday - which then prompted a tirade of "oh yeah, that happened to me once" stories, making out that we were pissheads trying to get served at all hours of the day. In front of customers :)

I was once in my local Tescos when I was at uni at about 1.30am. This was a 24 hour one store. I tried to buy some Kaliber (non-alcoholic beer) and they refused because licensing laws prohibited the sale after 11pm. Because it was an alcoholic beverage.

Despite being sold as not having any alcohol in it.

FFS guys, get a grip.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
The law says if you look over 35, they don't have to ask you. But some are worried they're going to be sued or fined. Or they're jerks. So they hide behind the part of the law that says you need to provide evidence if asked. Believe it or not, it's there for a reason. It's hard to draw a line and say what age is ok, but the arbitrary number of 35 is there if they choose to use it.

If not, show ID or no alcohol for you.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
It sounds like he wasn't asked to show ID, just to state that he was over 21. Pointless stubbornness on both sides really.

lilrichie

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2007
Working in retail myself, if the individual in question is challenged by the sales staff for proof of age (UK Law) it dosent matter if they are 21 or 91 they have to provide their Identification to be served however if i was to challenge that man as they did in the Wirral and my manager was called he was politely take the customer to one side appologise and ask me to serve them because obviously i was taking the biscuit.

I think that store had been given order from the top to ask people buying alcohol for ID and decided it would be fun to take it one step to far, in this case causing up-roar.

lilrichie

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2007
"I think that store had been given order from the top to ask people buying alcohol for ID and decided it would be fun to take it one step to far, in this case causing up-roar."

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
I'm 40 and I hadn't been carded for years. Then last month I went to New York and got carded three or four times. Rather amusing, actually, for someone with a full beard that's 50 percent gray.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
I know in some places (such as alberta where I live) the law says you have to be of age and have your id on your person to be served alcohol. So although the bar staff may not be questioning your age at all, they are still required to ask just because if a liquor inspector comes in and finds a person without ID the establishment can be fined.

Silly law? absolutely. But having at the end of the day the people running the bars must abide by it.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I don't see much wrong with this. If it's their job and they can get sued for it then as bar owners (or wherever this was) they risk trouble for themselves if the person is under 18.
It's a bit extreme but I've known kids in secondary school to put on fake beards and stuff to look older just to get served.

In the sue and blame society we're living in this is what we should be expecting to see more often.

calculus

Dec 12, 2005
What he should have done is ask for proof that the person serving him was old enough to do so. That would have floored them...

lilrichie

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2007
What he should have done is ask for proof that the person serving him was old enough to do so. That would have floored them...

Wouldnt make no odds, that person only has to be in the presence of someone over 18 and that rule is shot dead.

lilrichie

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2007
Um forgive my ignorance but I thought the drinking age in the U.K. was 18 and over not 21 and over. :confused:

21 is the given guideline because apparently it is harder to judge someone who may or may not look 18 so the goverment say if they dont look 21 ID them.....

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
Um forgive my ignorance but I thought the drinking age in the U.K. was 18 and over not 21 and over. :confused:

You are correct.

But recently lot's of pubs, bars and off-licences have been implementing the Challenge 21 scheme in an attempt to stop selling alcohol to under-18's.

Having said that, the people who challenged the chap about his age in this story should be sacked. No excuses.

bellychris

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2003
New Jersey
You are correct.

But recently lot's of pubs, bars and off-licences have been implementing the Challenge 21 scheme in an attempt to stop selling alcohol to under-18's.

Having said that, the people who challenged the chap about his age in this story should be sacked. No excuses.

Oh ok thanks, over here in New Jersey I think they are supposed to I.D. you if you look under 24 or 25.

imac/cheese

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
I have seen signs in convenience stores that state: "We will not sell cigarettes or alcohol to anyone that looks under 30 years old without ID."

dale.albiston

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2006
i like the way asda (uk) handles this, a sign stating:

"if you are lucky enough to look under 21..."

nice approach.

in cases of "i know this is a stupid question but.." which i have been asked a few times i find if they ask with a smile i'd have no problems at all.

but then i don't carry id with me, i fail to see the need frankly.

had one shop insist i had to have a passport to by a bottle or martini.. told em i didn't have a passport.. this appeared to cause confusion, i ended up leaving, apparently they were going to call to police since i was obviously attempting 'something'. yeah whatever.

this was a clear case of following a stupid rule to the letter, and then the gent in question refusing to give the correct answer.

personally i'd have answered it, but in a somewhat sarcastic way, but the answer would have been clear.

i dare say the bad publicity the 'M' have got over this really wasn't worth it and the staff in question will never live this down.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Twunting Jobsworthy twunt!!

I got refused once!
I didn't have any ID on me. So I went home got some and went back. Demanded to see the store manager and made the sales staff apologise as they were *******ing when they refused me. So I suggested they were ****ing around and they got reprimanded right then and there!

How old were you at the time? In the U.S., many localities (and most establishments,) have a policy of verifying age for anyone that "looks under 30". That is, of course, completely subjective, so if you were 28 at the time, they could have been just following policy. When I was 19, with a long beard, I was often mistaken for being in my late 20's/early 30's. I could buy beer with almost no fear of being 'carded', while my 23 year old friends were carded often. My wife, on the other hand, at 35 was often mistaken for being in her early 20s. (My wife is 10 years older than I am, yet people often think I am older than her. When I tell people we are 10 years apart, they usually get it backwards, and comment that I look very young for my age.)

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
i like the way asda (uk) handles this, a sign stating:

"if you are lucky enough to look under 21..."

nice approach.

in cases of "i know this is a stupid question but.." which i have been asked a few times i find if they ask with a smile i'd have no problems at all.

but then i don't carry id with me, i fail to see the need frankly.

had one shop insist i had to have a passport to by a bottle or martini.. told em i didn't have a passport.. this appeared to cause confusion, i ended up leaving, apparently they were going to call to police since i was obviously attempting 'something'. yeah whatever.

this was a clear case of following a stupid rule to the letter, and then the gent in question refusing to give the correct answer.

personally i'd have answered it, but in a somewhat sarcastic way, but the answer would have been clear.

i dare say the bad publicity the 'M' have got over this really wasn't worth it and the staff in question will never live this down.

You fail to see the need to carry ID on you, even though you've been refused alcohol because of not having ID? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.