Man Bags

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Kenzembo1, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Kenzembo1 macrumors 6502

Hey guys (& girls),

I'm a loyal backpack user and have been throughout my life. I've never owned or used a messenger bag, but I'm considering purchasing one to use casually for work or during times when I have to look presentable (ie. suit jacket, and/or shirt and tie). I wouldn't really classify myself as a metrosexual but I do care about my appearance and want a product that reflects that. Also, I'm a recent college grad and want something that I can take with me to job interviews and to business meetings/trips in the future when I finally land that "grown-up" job (currently working at Abercrombie & Fitch as a sales associate).

Basically, what it boils down to is I need something more professional but I don't want a full-blown briefcase. Since I'm a younger professional, I want something a little different, a little more trendy compared to the briefcase look. Ideally, I want something that is smaller in size (not too big because I'm a smaller guy at 5' 7", 130lbs)...it needs to hold my 13" MBP and a book/notebooks along with a couple of files and macbook charger. Pretty simple - just the basics to tote to and from work or school essentials if/when I go to law or grad school.

I searched the forums and did some research online and was able to find at least 2 bags that I'm interested in:

- Graduate by Far Horizon Traders
    - EW Messenger - Jackson by Fossil

What do you guys think? They both look like they would suit my needs pretty well but what's your input? Do you like one over the other or is there something else that I should consider? What do you think of the whole "man bag" thing in general? In business class, they tell you that your education is to prepare you for the real world so you can go from backpack to briefcase.

I appreciate your $0.02! :)

2. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

I think - holy crap those are expensive! But I do prefer the second one, I think the colour is nicer. And, not to say that the first one is feminine, but I think the second one is more masculine than the Graduate bag. If you can afford the second one, then I'm quite jealous ;)

*edit* I think the cognac colour of the second one is also nicer than the dark brown or the black.

3. Kenzembo1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Haha yea, those bags are both really expensive! I don't mind paying more though, as long as I'm getting a superior product that will last for many years. Thanks for your input though! I was pretty set on the Fossil until I saw the Graduate bag and that led to my contemplation (also the fact that it's cheaper doesn't hurt either lol). The cognac color looks nice as well and I wish the graduate bag came in a few more color options but the camel leather is pretty unique and I like the fact that it's different.

4. Gonzo3333 macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

http://www.coach.com/online/handbags/-men_messengerbags-10551-10051-86-en?t1Id=82&t2Id=86&tier=2

If quality is more important than price you should check out the bags that Coach offers. I have had a few Coach things, wallet, shoes messenger bag. It does cost a little bit more but the quality is superior to anything made by Fossil.

My wife, and sister have several Coach purses between them and they all seem to be very solid. Heck, my mom has a few Coach purses that she has had for 15 or 20 years and still look like they are in very good condition.

5. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

I would totally would want a "coach" bag.........seem's so fashion like...and superior..:)

except they cost so much $$$:(:eek:

6. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I think the Fossil bag is much nicer. Certainly looks more classy than the Graduate bag.

7. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

My opinion? A full-blown briefcase (softside is fine) looks professional; a "man bag" does not.

I think the Fossil model you posted looks okay, but it seems a bit pricey. In my experience, nobody cares what brand it is, as long as it's functional and looks nice. You could probably find something much less expensive that looks just as nice.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't have any suggestions, but brown leather is a good choice.

Oh, and if you have ever seen any Fossil bags in person, check the quality/durability. I don't know if the models in the US are different than the ones available elsewhere, but the bags I've seen don't seem worth the price.

9. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Personally, leather messengers are nice but if it's something for work and it's not a briefcase, I'd opt for canvas hands down. If you're looking for a designer, the Fossil is priced well vs. prices from Victorinox, Jack Spade, Banana Republic, Coach.

I currently have one from Banana Republic that has a removable strap so it can be handled like a very casual brief. Size is perfect, not too big/small and looks slim.

10. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

How trendy you can afford to look depends on how trendy the field you want to go into is. Banker in New York? Probably not very trendy looking. Executive at a TV studio in Los Angeles? Probably pretty trendy.

Lethal

11. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

It depends on what you job is like. Personally, if one of my attorney friends or accountant friends showed up with a canvas bag, I'd probably laugh at him. It would look goofy to carry a canvas bag in a suit and tie corporate kind of job. But, then again, I'd also go for something less casual than the two he's chosen as well (like the Louis Vuitton one I've attached; of course, you could find a very similar version at Coach or Fossil for $150-$500 rather than paying $2,050 for the LV one).

I like both of the bags, I think the first bag is more visually interesting, however, the second bag is less busy and would probably make a better everyday bag. I also think the 2nd bag would be easier to dress up or down depending on the situation.

Attached Files:

12. Kenzembo1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all of your help guys! After taking a drive to the Prime Outlets in Grove City, PA and checking out the Fossil, Coach and Wilson (leather) stores, I think I'm going to place an order online for the EW Jackson messenger from Fossil in the cognac (light brown) color. The quality of their leather is really nice and for the price you really can't beat it...especially compared to a higher end designer like Coach, etc. I think this will last me for the foreseeable future and function great as both a casual 'everyday' bag, as well as make for a nice professional briefcase alternative for anything work or school related. The great thing about owning a nice quality leather bag is that over time the scuffs, marks and overall wear add to the character of the bag and give it a distinguished look :cool:

13. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Hey man, good choice. I wish I could have one, I just have a cheap old Tech Air :p

14. Passenger88 macrumors member

Passenger88

15. oliverhoward macrumors newbie

These are nice man bags, but if you want something a little more traditional then take a look at this slim laptop brief from Briggs & Riley. I think it looks very different from the usual black brigade. It’s quite compact, but will easily hold your laptop, notebooks, power supply, and other gear. It has a top handle and a removable shoulder strap in case you want to sling it instead of carrying it like a brief.