Man Boobs (aka Moobs)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MBX, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

There's a difference between being out of shape and having a hormonal imbalance..

Is Moobs a catch-all term or just referring to one or the other? I always thought it was the flabby, out-of-shape ones.

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

If you have moobs because you're fat, then do us a favour and do some push-ups or something. Just do 20 every morning, and take it from there.

I think lots of these elective surgeries are ridiculous. If you're suffering from psychological issues due to your own self-image, then you've got bigger issues to deal with. If it's not one flaw they worry about, it's another.

3. Theophany macrumors 6502a

Theophany

I actually have pubertal gynaecomastia. It started when I was around 12-13 and hasn't gone away. Whilst it doesn't look like I packing a pair similar to Melinda Messenger, it's always been a source of discomfort for me. That and doctors, despite promising it would have gone away within 4 years, refuse to take any action to get rid of them, meds or surgery.

Doesn't bother me anywhere near as much as it used to, but wearing slim-fitted shirts and t-shirts isn't really something I do much anymore.

4. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

That's neither true nor fair. For one thing, you can't spot treat with weight loss, you go on a diet and do cardio, etc and lose weight/fat over all. Push ups alone aren't going to do jack for someone who is more than slightly overweight.
    Sometimes for extremely stubborn specific locations of fat, lipo is the only answer.

Elective procedures are not always ridiculous. No amount of self-love can change a physical flaw. No one else should be judging someone for how they perceive themselves unless they are actually doing themselves harm, even then, really, it's their body, their choice. If a long painful hatred of some random body part can be solved by a surgeon's scalpel, what's so wrong with that? Sometimes it just takes the one procedure and a person can find satisfaction with themselves. I think that's great.

It's just not appropriate to lump everyone into one category or think that someone is mentally effed up for going under the knife. It's not so black and white.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

So you get (firm) moobs if you work out too much and (saggy) if you're out of shape. How irratating!
    Guess I'll just hover between the 2.

Actually back when I was slightly underweight I did lots of working out so I was thin, but had muscle moobs.

6. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Very well said. I love it when people ask for overweight people to "do us a favor", I got it ... how about do us a favor and get your head out of your arse and realize it is not as cut and dry as you'd like to think. If it were, and if you had the answer you'd be rich!

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I'll go with that.

9. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

I think Abstract might like a pair of men's bras for his night out on the town.

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

And what's the physical flaw in this case?

I never said someone is mentally eff'ed up for getting surgery. I said people should try getting over their flaws rather than getting surgery to fix something that isn't really a flaw at all. I guess people have less tolerance of physical differences between themselves and others they see around them, and consider lots of things "flaws". I don't know. I have a friend that's 6'4" tall, and he HATES being tall. Is he flawed?

Moobs are not a form of disfigurement. Surgeries to fix a disfigurement are OK in my book, even if they're still considered "elective" surgery. That's why I said that I find lots of these elective surgeries ridiculous, not all of them. It's fat, and most of the time, people are fat due to their eating habits. I wouldn't even consider being fat a "flaw". It was never a flaw until somewhat recently....

And yes, do some cardio as well as push-ups. However, you're going to burn off more fat for the same amount of cardio if you have more "muscle moobs", so if you're going to attempt to tighten those moobs, push-ups will speed things up a lot.

I feel the same way about people who get lipo, but have never even tried exercise because "it's too hard". How about women who ask for a cesarean section to protect their figure, even if they're more than capable of having natural child birth. It's their choice to do as they will, but that doesn't mean I find it any less ridiculous.

11. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I'm beginning to understand just why you like the 20,000 Pushups thread... :D

12. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

GIVEN: Men have nipples, to allow service as dry-nurses, to keep the little buggers from crying.

Discuss.

:p

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I like making up numbers. ;)

Actually, I still do them. Iscariot's thread really did get me to start, although I still don't do many of them, and so I haven't really improved much. I still do 50 per set, but sometimes I'll do 50 in the morning, and then another 50 at some random time, like 8 PM in the evening. I just never record it in the thread now.

14. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I have overdrinka alcoholia (although this is reduced recently), as well as goodfooda stuffitinmouthia.

Moobs, I has it.

15. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Hormonal imbalances can be caused by being out of shape (or poor diet).

16. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

^^^Is that when they reduce your testosterone levels to shrink an enlarged prostate to make it easier to treat later with radiation or surgery?

You earned them. ;)

My stepfather has moobies. He used to do 30 minutes of exercise every 2 weeks, believing it was better than nothing.

He has kept his new year's resolution of exercising 30 minutes, 3 times per week, and it was had some positive physical effect on his moobs, but he'll have to keep this up for a few months before he goes back to being smaller than an A-cup. :eek:

Surgery would fix those up really quick, I guess.