Man, computers are expensive...

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
596
0
So, the system that I'm really pondering over buying tonight is an ibook 1.2ghz/512mb/80gb 12". With an educational discount at Apple it comes out to 1209 dollars.

Does this sounds like a good idea? I like the idea of having extra ram and a larger hard drive because I know that it'll be a long time before Apple offers iBooks that come with 512 megs of ram and an 80gb hard drive. But what I mean most is, does it sound like a good system, or a disproportionate one?
 

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
21,922
169
Depends on what you're going to do with it... but regardless you can never have enough RAM but you don't have to get it from Apple. You'll get a much better deal elsewhere and it's very easy to put in yourself...
 

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
22,910
41
Andover, MA
I second Blue's suggestion (btw, go to bed, Blue... really ;)). RAM is essential, and it's much cheaper elsewhere. You could upgrade with a 512MB stick for only a few $$ more than you'll pay to go to 512MB total from Apple.
 

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
596
0
Thanks. Good ideas. One last thing - about buying an iBook now in the product cycle? What with the Powerbook just being updated, I'm pretty sure there won't be an ibook update for a while. But hey, who knows.
 

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
22,910
41
Andover, MA
Shacklebolt said:
Thanks. Good ideas. One last thing - about buying an iBook now in the product cycle? What with the Powerbook just being updated, I'm pretty sure there won't be an ibook update for a while. But hey, who knows.
There probably won't be a significant update soon, and almost undoubtedly not one which would make you upset that you didn't wait. I think you're safe buying now. Seeing the incremental updates to the PBs, I doubt the iBooks will improve by much for months.
 

gallivant

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2004
99
0
Historically, the iBooks have gotten updates like clockwork in October and April. That pattern's held for two years; before that, it was May and November. In other words, aside from a one-month adjustment, it's been twice a year forever. So if you feel like waiting till April/May, you could get an upgrade, but it probably won't be terribly earth-shattering. I'd say go for it now.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.