Man dead for years found in flat

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by edesignuk, Feb 8, 2008.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

BBC.

*barf*

2. bartelby macrumors Core

3. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

What is curious is why the neighbours only noticed the smell after 5 years? :eek:You would think the smell would have gone by then…

Unless it took the council 5 years to investigate… hmmmmm. :rolleyes:

Edit:
    On second thoughts… maybe it was the sofa that smelt so bad as it had absorbed 5 years' worth of errm juices and stuff…

4. ::Lisa:: macrumors 6502a

::Lisa::

Ewwww gross! How could they not know that? Council have to do annual gas safety inspections and if no-one answers, they get the court to agree to break in to allow that. So seems odd. But very disgusting indeed!

How would they have only noticed the smell after 5 years? I imagine a few weeks after his death, he would of been pretty darn stinky!!! Imagine all the flies etc *gag*

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Imagine what a body would look like after five years, surely there can't be much left to make the smell.

6. Devil's Refugee macrumors 6502

The other bloke had a mental condition apparently, but it doesn't mean his ****ing nose didn't work !

How could you put up with the smell for so long ?

Or fail to notice the festering corpse in the corner that didn't complain when you watched Songs of Praise on a Sunday !

Boak !!

What a statement of today's society :eek:

7. bartelby macrumors Core

No, but all the rotting ooze that seeps into the carpets and such that attract insects and possibly rats might create a nasty smell.

Or what a statement of today's care for people with mental health issues.

8. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Depends on the temperature its left in. Since it was indoors (warmer) it would decompose faster and there really shouldn't be much left. It's the first few weeks that a decomposing body is really really foul and people would tend to notice the smell. After a year (usually way before) it should be dried out and not quite so aromatic. but I suppose that depends where it was left. That sofa must reek!

It's just odd... and creepy.

9. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I'm sure the smell reached the street but I guess people didn't really bother....wow how can someone live with that smell lingering through the air well I guess he got use to it.

Bless

10. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

"...was the tenant's former lodger at the flat in Bedminster."

no! what you don't say...

11. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Wouldn't the rats and flies have eaten the bits they wanted in five years though? Surely it must of been eaten, very little goes to waste with bugs etc.

12. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

"council tenant" and "council workers"? What is this "council"?

13. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

It is the local authority that holds responsibility for the area and specific things that go on inside it, such as rubbish collection, allocation of resources, housing etc.

14. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You forgot to mention they they get to add yet another level of taxing to us all too.

15. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

wow.

and i remember hearing other cases of this through the years. as if its becoming more common. sad.

16. Queso macrumors G4

Not if there's no gas supply to the flat. Camden try to avoid housing those with learning difficulties or mental health issues in blocks with gas supplies, so if Bristol do the same it would explain the lack of inspections.

However, as Bartelby suggests, it doesn't explain the lack of care visits to this particular tenant. Five years??!! To my mind this is negligence on the scale of the Victoria Columbie scandal.

17. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

taxes? what are taxes? :confused:

Only have a few more months of being a student so i'm enjoying it when I can.

18. Queso macrumors G4

Only the very young or very rich ever get to ask that question.

19. Keebler macrumors 68030

there was a story a few years back of some Japanese construction crews finding the body of a guy who had lived in an unfinished apartment building. He had obviously died, but if my memory serves me correctly, it was an insanely long time before anyone found him...

doh.

20. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Does this remind anyone of an old thread about a similar topic, but the other guy's TV was still on after all the years. But really, somebody should have noticed, I mean, in the first month the smell alone would clue people in from the area.

21. Scottcop macrumors member

I'm pretty sure you aren't allowed lodgers if you are a council tenant.
    What I mean is that the council may not of know about the dead guy living there.

Depending on the other guys "mental health problems" which is a very broad term. He may not of had or needed support, especially at home. Although if he doesn't feel that sharing his flat with a corpse is a issue, I would offer the opinion that he may benefit from some support.

As long as the rents being paid why would the council ever need to visit the home? sans any complaints.

Very sad story.

22. cyberjunky macrumors regular

If he does have mental problems, and to the degree that he could not notice a rotting corpse in the room:
    1. How has he survived for 5 years?
    2. How does he make a living?
    3. How did he get his shopping?
    4. How did he prepare food?
    5. How did he maintain any level of personal cleanliness?

As already stated why did the smell not crop up earlier, why 5 years for people to notice?

23. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

If you phone in, the Council will investigate a strange smell? I'm surprised their workload isn't much greater than it is.

24. Queso macrumors G4

Depends on the Council. There are no standard tenancy agreements nationwide.

Let's take it as written that he noticed, but he obviously lacked the reasoning that told him he needed to do something about it. Maybe he was afraid that someone would blame him. I guess he was just pretending it wasn't there so he wouldn't have to deal with it.

Most councils are ridiculously overstaffed for the required workload as it is. They are also a haven for incompetent office workers, since nobody ever gets fired no matter how useless they are, which means good staff get fed up of carrying workshy colleagues and move on. If you could bypass the unions you could probably sack the most useless 25% of any Council's workforce and nobody would notice any change to the level of service offered.

25. cyberjunky macrumors regular

Sweet i should apply for a job there then :p