Man Falls 6000 Feet and Survives

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by mkrishnan, Dec 22, 2009.

1. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Fascinating story...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/dec/19/fell-6000-feet-survived

I heard the first thing he did when he walked out of the hospital was to go to an Apple store and try to convince them the damage to his iPhone wasn't due to it being dropped. :eek: :D

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Wow! That is quite a story. I would say it is a miracle that he is still alive.

3. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Absolute miracle that guy is alive, he should buy more lottery tickets ;)

4. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I've been skydiving and do understand the amazing rush you get while doing it. That being said, I can in no way imagine the terror he felt upon realizing that he was about to hit the ground. Like other skydiving survivor stories I've heard this is truly remarkable.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Finally! They can stop showing that other video of the dude when his parachute did not open and update their damn World's Most Outrageous Accidents reels! :D

OK but really, it is truly amazing he survived.

6. carlgo macrumors 68000

I have heard about survivors among the thousands of airmen who were blown out of their planes and out of their parachutes in WWII. Mostly they hit snowy slopes rather than hard horizontal surfaces. Some felt strong updrafts over hot fields and landed in stacks of hay.

There is a lot to be said about not jumping out of airplanes or other high places. You know, the downside...

7. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

As usual the story is dramatized. The opening process of his parachute slowed him down a LOT in that instant and made the impact survivable so it's not as if he fell at full speed into the flat, hard ground. Sure it's still pretty wild but why do people need to be so dishonest in titles and wording? The story is amazing enough on it's own merits.

8. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

This is very FOAF, but one night a good friend of mine told me he saw a drunk guy jump/fall off a ten storey building, landing flat on his back on a car.

The car was a write-off, windows smashed, roof buckled etc but the guy got up and staggered away around the corner.

At first I was suspicious, but on reflection, it might be true. Drunk, hence relaxed muscles, landing on something with four sets of shock absorbers, four soft tyres, a big soft metal roof to crumple and take some of the shock. Maybe.

Almost certainly concussion and broken ribs and other bones, but drunk, you're not going to feel them right away.

9. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

10. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

Crazy...

I'm guessing the snow was only a meter deep( 3ish feet), and then he hit the ground. I wiped out snowboarding and when head first into the snow. I'm 5 11 and the snow was up to my chest.

11. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

You don't mess around when getting boozed up eh! :eek:

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Ditto. Glad to hear he'll be OK.

13. BuiltforSin macrumors regular

BuiltforSin

Incredible story. I can't imagine the terror he felt knowing he was about to slam into the ground. I wonder if the snow in anyway had cushioned his fall?

14. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

wow. My hand was over my mouth through most of that. That was one
    intense read there. Amazing.
    Crank2! =)

15. MarkCollette macrumors 68000

MarkCollette

When I was sky diving, a couple months ago, one of my instructors had an audible altimeter, that would beep more as you approach the ground. This guy should have used something like that, if he was not able to visually check his altimeter, since he was filming. Even then, it didn't seem like he even had a standard altimeter, from his talk of trying to guess his altitude from the look of the mountain. Personally, when I realised I had no way of knowing my altitude, that's when I would have pulled my chute. You drop 1000 feet per 5 seconds, when in free fall, so there isn't much time to figure things out as you're dropping.

16. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

As long as the iphone is ok.....

Seriously, you are LUCKY.