Man jailed for hoax emergency calls

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by scotthayes, Mar 31, 2008.

1. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

He made more than a dozen hoax call, so they jailed him for 4 years.

BBC News

4 years may seem a little excessive, but there is always the chance that the emergency services could have been attending one of the hoax calls and not able to get to a real call.

If only the same Judge could be there the next time Pete Doherty is in court.

2. bartelby macrumors Core

Or better still hang the talentless scrote!

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Not in my opinion. According to the article, along with over 10 other hoax calls, he made false claims regarding a bomb as well as impersonating a police officer, neither of which are minor offenses.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'd say it's not fair. I'd jail him for 2 years. I think 4 years is harsh, but I agree that a long sentence like this should have been given, so 4 years is still within the realm of acceptability to me.

However, I would have probably looked at the time and length of the emergency calls and whether someone died as a result of a single emergency call resulting in death. If someonew as trying to call 9-1-1 for a real emergency, and they couldn't reach anyone, he should be charged severely.

For the fake threat call-ins he made, I'd look to see how much that cost the city financially, and the grief it caused.

5. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

You're all just a bunch of April fools. The story is not even true.

6. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

4 years never means 4 years. He'll be paroled in a matter of months if he has good behavior.

7. Henri Gaudier macrumors 6502a

Henri Gaudier

I heard on BBC Radio 4 last night that the police said he was "childlike". If that's true then any custodial sentence is an outrage. I believe it costs around 60,000€ a year to keep someone in prison. Remedial help would be a lot less and more valuable to the person in question and also wider society.

8. scotthayes thread starter macrumors 68000

scotthayes

Look at the date the story was posted on the BBC site. This isn't an April Fools joke.

9. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

Everything on April 1st is an April fools joke regardless of when the story was originally posted.