Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

9valkyrie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2024
I was working in VSCode in fullscreen and I swiped over to go to the desktop and a yellow box was there with one of the words from my code. I looked it up online and it said it was the man pages. I never ran the man pages like that. So apparently something ran a man page look up on whatever I had selected. Then today, Spotlight popped up and it filled in the word "man" automatically without me typing anything. Something keeps calling man pages, what is it? I did run a anti-malware scan and it found nothing. All apps I have installed are from identified developers, sig's checked.

2023 MacBook Air, macOS Sonoma 14.3.1

tensixturtle

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2021
Kepler 22b
I may be wrong but the first part with the yellow box reminds me of the lookup feature which is activated by force-clicking on a word to bring up its definition. Sometimes there’s a glitch I experience where I change the desktop and the box remains, which reminds me of the behaviour that you describe. Perhaps you inadvertently activated it? Spotlight search is tied in with other macOS lookup features, so that’s my best guess why it showed up there.

9valkyrie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2024
Hmm.. I don't have force click enabled, so that might not be it. I haven't seen it lately, it may have just been a weird feature ("it's a feature not a bug"). I have been monitoring ps to see if I can catch it, but so far nothing.

tensixturtle

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2021
Kepler 22b
Do you by any chance have the "Look up and data detectors" setting enabled? Other than that I don't really have more ideas but hopefully it doesn't start doing it again.
Screenshot 2024-02-22 at 14.46.23.png

9valkyrie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2024
I do not have that enabled. Haven't noticed anything too odd in the past couple of days. Thanks for feedback.

Reactions: tensixturtle
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.