man please windows 7 on a mac is horrible !!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gdeusthewhizkid, Mar 2, 2010.

1. gdeusthewhizkid macrumors 6502a

hi,

I just went thru the hassle of boot camping my mb pro and adding windows 7 ultimate. Man windows is a horrid operating system. From Boot Camp i couldnt start from the windows installer so i thought to go from windows xp pro to windows 7. Install went smooth but i couldnt install any of the service packs you need to upgrade to windows 7. I couldnt get the drivers working even though i have the snow leopard install disk with the windows drivers on them. I was able to get my network drivers going. SO i connected to windows update and upon downloading the service packs. I get a error message saying service packs and updates cannot be installed.

After six hours of dealing with this . I just deleted the windows partition. I will only deal with windows bs at work.. sheesh..

2. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

As far as I know you can't upgrade from any xp version to windows 7. I just deleted my xp partition and made a new one for windows 7 on my mbp, everything was smooth as can be. About one hour after putting in the install disk everything was up and running. The drivers from the snow leopard disk were also no problem, I just updated some to newer versions afterwards. Sorry for your bad experience.

3. truciet macrumors 6502

sorry...it's just you...

user error most likely

4. psycodriver macrumors newbie

Windows 7 runs great on a mac. I have it on a Mac pro and a iMac. You can boot from windows 7 disk from bootcamp in OSX. There's no need to put xp on to load windows 7 even if it a upgrade, just google it. It sounds like you loaded xp service pack 1 and bootcamp dosent work with that.

5. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

XP to Windows 7 "Upgrade" as you call it is impossible. The only valid upgrade path is Vista to Windows 7 (must be same architecture - 32 or 64 bit) Just do a clean install of Win 7.

6. wrxlvr macrumors newbie

I would suggest getting help from someone on the board who has done it before...

7. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

dont blame your computer ignorance on software...

i've had Windows 7 running fine with all drivers since the beta on my SR MBP

Your first problem started where you mentioned installing service packs to install 7, you dont need any service packs, in fact as odinsride said you cant even use Windows XP as 7 only upgrades from Vista

only thing you should need the boot camp control panel in OSX for is creating the partition, from there restart the computer, put the DVD in and hold C to boot from the disk drive then run the 7 setup that way...7 should have all of the drivers you need for networking and sound built in (its been a long time since ive installed it so im not positive on that) either way the OS dvd has a bootcamp application for windows that will have any drivers built in as well as control for some of the MBP's hotkeys

8. SteveSparks macrumors 6502a

SteveSparks

Can't do an upgrade to 7 from anything but Vista. If you do upgrade Vista you can only go from the same level of Vista to 7, like Pro to Pro, Home to Home etc. A fresh install is slways an option with 7 and is required for all versions of XP.

I would always go the fresh install with 7. It really does that anyway and just puts Vista in a "safe" directory.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

10. ineedanewMBP macrumors newbie

def you on this one.

you need to delete the original partition and make a new one if you're running xp. vista works fine as steve said with that exception.

i even installed the x64 on a 2007 MBP when they don't "allow" you to. Only thing that bugs me is the color difference (i tried copying the settings and using them in win7, is not the same), and the touch to click... it'll never be included I assume since it's been years.

reinstall and get someone's help who knows what they're doing. preferably, someone who has a :apple:

gl. :p

11. MrMoore macrumors 6502

I've had no problem running Windows 7 on my MBP. Make sure you have the latest BootCamp drivers.

Also you really can't "upgrade" from Windows XP to 7. Windows 7 will blow away the XP partition and start from scratch. You might as well just load Win7 directly.

12. jtara macrumors 65816

Windows 7 (64-bit) runs like a champ on my Macbook under VMWare.

A Bootcamp install will have slower disk performance than installing on VMWare or (I think, as well) Parallels. Seems counter-intuitive, but that's the case. The 64-bit version is faster than the 32-bit, provided you give it sufficient RAM. (I've found 1.5GB is the sweet spot under VMWare

As others have pointed out, you can NOT upgrade in-place from Windows XP. You need to install into a new partition. Really, this is the easiest way to install an upgrade in any case. You simply need to have an activated Windows partition available on the computer (you can do this with a USB drive, even) at the time that you run the install.

13. lilo777 macrumors 603

Don't use hackindows machine for WIndows 7, buy machine that was optimized for this software (like DELL Studio XPS or something) ;)

14. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Or that. Apple doesn't consider my MBP able to run Windows 7 (it came out after Vista, so I'm quite pissed they couldn't support it for a 'minor' OS Revision), so I'm looking at a Dell Vostro right now, as I would rather Windows 7 and my MBP can't cut it.

15. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit on my MBP and it rocks! I think Windows 7 is way better than Vista...ack!

I know I'll get flamed but Windows 7 is better than SL in a couple of areas:

1. Finder lags behind Explorer in many ways.

2. Speech Recognition - Microsoft did a great job with this.

Sometimes Finder acts like a brain damaged third grader. For crying out loud, how does Finder not get updated??

-p

16. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

I agree that Windows 7 is just fine and far, far, superior to Vista. I installed it in a VMware Fusion virtual machine on my 17 inch 2.4Ghz MBP with 6 gig of RAM. I have been running it with Fusion in Unity mode so that I can leave Quicken 2010 for Windows open in the OS X dock. It has been stable and reasonably fast. I could not ask for more.

I think the OP needs to go back to the drawing board and learn the limitations involved when replacing XP with Win 7. As others have already pointed out, you can't upgrade from XP to 7. A clean install is required.

17. liljoedaprince macrumors member

windows 7 works fine for me but the speakers don't. I mean the built in iMac speakers are fine but the speakers i plug in work for Mac OS X but not for windows 7. any suggestions?

18. PhoneI macrumors 65816

I was just given a new laptop at work with Windows 7 (My last Work machine was XP). I just don't get the love affair. To me it seems like XP with a better taskbar.

I usually cant wait to go home and use my MacBook with SL.

19. lilo777 macrumors 603

Which is essentially just another similar OS with a different toolbar :D

20. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

The only thing that annoys me is that they don't support 64 bit versions of Windows... if they supported 64 bit Vista, I'd be happier, but oh well. Can't win em all.

21. Ell2Cool macrumors member

urm......... Fail????

22. nick1516 macrumors 6502a

nick1516

Sorry, works fine for me, and that's without official 64-bit support(which I'm running) on my macbook.

23. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Windows 7 runs flawlessly on my 09 Mini via VMware.

24. koruki macrumors 6502a

koruki

I did a bootcamp install of Win 7 ultimate last night, went smooth, quick , easy. Don't know what you did lol.

25. nick1516 macrumors 6502a

nick1516

I'm guessing this was an ID 10 T error.