Manage iPod Touch on Multiple OS'

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ThirteenXIII, May 13, 2008.

1. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

Im interested in purchasing an iPod Touch to replace a 30Gb iPod Video 5th Gen.
    Same basic amount of storage but has some nice features that would work with my WiFi network.

I was able to borrow one for awhile to test and use before I buy using a friends iPodTouch; however, since the iPod Touch doesnt seem to specifically format to "Windows" or "Mac" like my iPod 5G does when I restore it.

Im curious can I use the iPod Touch using 10.4.10, 10.5.2 and XP to manually add music?

All my ipods ive used before I checked the "Manually Manage Music" so it doesnt auto sync to a specific Library as everything is on a separate harddrive and i just drag and drop my music and video onto the ipod.

Sometimes whenusing the iPod Touch, it would ask me to resync the library thus always removing the songs I manually added.

So is there a easy way to just have the same functionality of the way I manually added songs to my iPod with the iPod touch using the various OS' that I do use and plug my iPod into???

thanks!

2. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

without jailbreaking you wouldn't be able to use multi itunes profiles on the touch. I have seen something in the installer app for jailbroken touches that allows the use of multiple iTunes profiles.

3. ThirteenXIII thread starter macrumors 6502a

what i mean is that when I originall got my ipod video 5th Gen, it was asked to set up for the first time, format for Windows (when plugged into my Macpro with bootcamp under windows) so in essence created a fat32 format of my ipodvideo;
    that way i could transfer songs manually to my iPod from either when I was using XP or when using OSX.

So is that same functionality apparent with the iPod touch?
    being able to manaually manage it?

if not, makes me think twice about it at the moment....if i have to use multi-os' for certain periods of time.

4. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

ah right and its a no I'm afraid, the touch works off ram disks and not a hard drive so disk use is no longer available with them.

there is a few programs out that allow you to copy music to and from pc to the touch without iTunes but I have only used one windows based one and even then its just copy from touch to pc.

as for using multi OS's I have no problem with the touch, I restored in windows and pluged into my mac book and had no issue at all.

almost forgot, when you jailbreak a iPod Touch you can FTP into it aswell and transfer files manually.

5. ThirteenXIII thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok thanks!

yeah i wasnt sure, as i was borrowing one that was "set up" on my friends OSX10.5.2 MBP and I went to us ing on my MacPro 10.5.2 set up and it asked me to restore and wouldnt let me transfer songs from tmy harddrive to the ipodtouch. even though manual manage was selected.

just seems a bit goofy.