Manage local storage with Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BiggAW, Apr 8, 2012.

1. BiggAW macrumors 68020

I normally use GMail's web interface, but I am exploring using Apple Mail. The problem is, whenever I set my GMail account up in Mail, it starts downloading all 3GB or of stuff in my GMail, which is ridiculous. Is there a way to limit it to say 25MB or 50MB of local disk storage, and force it to only retrieve as-needed for the rest?

2. BiggAW thread starter macrumors 68020

That doesn't really help, as it's basically saying use POP if you don't want everything downloaded locally. Just doing the Inbox doesn't help a lot, as that goes from 29,468 threads to 17,084 threads, which I still don't want saved locally. Split that out into messages, and even just the inbox is significantly more than 17k.

I want everything accessible, but not saved locally. I wish there was an option for local caching to only use 50MB or something...

This may just be unworkable for the same reason it's been unworkable in the past...

3. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

4. BiggAW thread starter macrumors 68020

IMAP. POP is kind of useless, as you only get new stuff coming in, and god knows how labels work (or don't).

----------

I deleted the account from Mail until I figure out if there is a solution. There has got to be a better way than storing 3GB of mail locally...

5. canuckle macrumors regular

In Gmail under settings, pop/imap there's a setting

Limit IMAP folders to contain no more than this many messages ^dropdown

Choices are 1000/2000/5000/10000

Perhaps that helps? I had the same concern, works for me in my usage.

6. BiggAW thread starter macrumors 68020

That's great! I'll give that a shot! Thanks!

7. BiggAW thread starter macrumors 68020

Hmmm, mine is already set to 1000, and it was doing a ridiculous amount of downloading. Is that per label? I have like 50 labels, so it could easily pull 20k+ individual messages with 1000 per label. Maybe it's just not workable lol. I just wish it would work like iPhone mail, that actually works pretty well, even if is Nokia click-heavy.