Manage locations automatically?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pit29, May 5, 2009.

1. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

Hi all,

is there a way to switch network settings automatically because of whether or not I am connected to a certain (non-WiFi) LAN? I have to manually set the IP address and such when I am at work, but would like to have DHCP at all other times. The Location Managers I found can do this only on the basis on whether or not certain WiFi networks are found. However, there is no WiFi at work - so I am looking for a program that detects this specific LAN as soon as I plug in the ethernet cable and then sets a specific location. And vice versa: if I unplug the cable, I want to return to the other location...

You can make my day! ;)

Pit

2. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

Good question, but as far as I am aware it does not change automatically.

I have the same problem between work/ home and netshare with the iphone. All set up to work, but they do not switch for me. I have to remember to do it myself.

If you doscover something let us know.

3. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

this is not an inbuilt function of os x, though it should be. does windows do this? linux?

i use http://networklocationapp.com/ and it works sufficiently.

4. pit29 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pit29

I know it's not inbuilt, but I'd be willing to pay for a program if it does what I want... Right now I'm giving NetworkLocation a second try. Tried MarcoPolo, which looked nice, but somehow didn't change locations as expected. Locamatic can do this only in response to different WiFi networks...

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

in Network preferences you can set the service order for network interfaces. so if you set Ethernet first with all your work LAN settings and then Airport second it will be your primary network when you are connected by LAN but once you unplug the ethernet cable it will switch to Airport automatically say for your home network. is this what youre after?

6. pit29 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pit29

Almost. I want to have specific manual set IP settings (manual) if, and only if, I connect to my work network via ethernet, and DHCP at all other times. Ideally, also if I connect to a different network via an ethernet cable...