manage (& sync) multiple itunes libraries with one itunes account

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by suck my mac, Apr 1, 2009.

1. suck my mac macrumors newbie

suck my mac

So here is what I'm trying to do, I've got a 160 gb of music in itunes on my macbook pro, but I need to decrease that number, b/c my I'm running out of hard drive space and my library is only getting larger. I want to have it set up so that I've got my entire library on my external hard drive (1 TB, space is not an issue), and while I'm at home I can access the entire library. However, while I'm out of the house, I'd like to only have about half of my current collection with me on my macbook pro..

I tried to set it up using the 'itunes manage multiple libraries' method, but this didn't transfer any of my ratings or playlists. Then I realized that with having these two libraries completely separate, this will be a re-occurring theme. The playlist and ratings between the two separate libraries in two separate locations, would continue to get more and more askew from each other depending on which library I'm accessing when I import new music, change ratings, or modify playlists.

So here is what I need, a program that will automatically sync my libraries, (music, playlists, ratings, and new music additions) possibly similar to the way 'syncopation' will. However, as far as I can tell, this program is set up to do this between separate libraries on SEPARATE computers, but I've only got one computer, and therefore one itunes.. so will syncopation, or any other program, or alternative, allow me to sync multiple libraries using one itunes account?

I've spent way to much time and energy trying to solve this problem already, I need some help! Thanks for your time and expertise..

sincerly,
    suck my mac

2. shelant macrumors member

I wish someone answered your question, I'm in the same boat with the exact setup.