Managed to crack screen on 15" MBP. Help needed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MontyC, Nov 2, 2009.

1. MontyC macrumors member

MontyC

At the airport I managed to drop my computer bag and the screen on my unibody 15" MBP is cracked (2.4 GHz Core 2). It seems it is only the glass lens that is cracked, the screen works fine. My questions are:

1. How much would Apple charge to repair (UK)? The MBP is less than one year old and I have Applecare but I know accidental damage is not covered

2. If I go with a third party repair, would that void my warranty?

3. Is this something I could do myself if I bought a glass screen on eBay? I am fairly good with this stuff but again would I void my warranty?

What a mess. Any advice is appreciated.

2. XP Defector macrumors 6502

2, 3 = Yes unless the third party is Apple approved.

1 = Expensive!!!

Did you have travel insurance?

3. MontyC thread starter macrumors member

MontyC

How expensive is expensive?

I am going to look into insurance but I have little faith in insurance companies.

4. dlhuss macrumors member

Can't speak for the UK, but my friend in Germany stepped on hers and had to exchange the display. Cost: ~700 euros

For just the glass, check out the video link in this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=813461

5. MontyC thread starter macrumors member

MontyC

Thanks for the link... helpful. I am hoping that because I only need the glass replaced it won't be as expensive. From that video it seems you don't need to open the laptop to replace the glass. The hard part will be removing the glass... because it is cracked, I don't think it will pop out like it did in the video.

6. MontyC thread starter macrumors member

MontyC

The conclusion

OK, so I looked at changing the glass myself but the Youtube videos seem to work only because the glass is in one piece. In my case, as the screen is cracked, I decided it was going to be messy.

First I called a few authorised Apple service centres and got prices... they were £ 450 or there about to replace the cover assembly. I went to Apple on Regent Street on Monday and they quoted me £ 370 but said it was going to take 3 to 4 weeks as they were busy. I decided to go with them. Amazingly, 4 days later they called me to say the laptop was ready for pick up. I went there and tested the machine... found out the Airport was not being recognised. They took it to the back of the store and I waited. They came back to say they did not replace the Airport and if I was prepared to wait for 30 minutes they would put it in.

So... careful not to break the glass... it is easier than you think. If you do, it will be expensive and check your machine when you pick it up.

7. reverai macrumors newbie

Hmmm...I did help a friend replace the glass on Macbook Pro LCD screen. It's a tad tricky in that one needs to take the unscreen quite a few little screws and take the top off and the take even more very small screws off the logic board and then take off the LCD. Then seperate the various pieces of the screen and replace the glass. It took us about a hour to do all of this. The glass came from Ebay and cost $12.

Steve

8. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

Did you buy it with a credit card? If so check the details as some offer additional protection for purchases made with the card.

9. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

You should have gotten a freebie or some discount out of that...I can't believe they screw something up then don't apologize all over themselves and make up for it. Yeah mistakes happen but it shouldn't be at your expense.

10. Beaverfish macrumors regular

I smashed the glass on my MBP same model as your. It cost me about £360, and they replaced the entire screen assembly. This was at the apple store btw.

11. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

What expense? He suffered none, beyond the value he places on 30 minutes of his time. I get stuck in traffic all the time, and don't expect the roads service to pay me for that time, though.

Your attitude is all wrong. Mistakes happen; wondering what you can get for free because of it is a poor approach to take.

12. thunderboltspro macrumors regular

Second step buy a better computer bag.

13. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

I did not say he should get a free laptop...but it's good business and goes a lot toward good will to treat customers well. They made a mistake and it cost the customer time...it would pay huge dividends in the end to give him 10% off or something to say "hey sorry we value you as a customer and will take care of you"...that little thing will get you good word of mouth.

14. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

I did not say he should get a free laptop...but it's good business and goes a lot toward good will to treat customers well. They made a mistake and it cost the customer time (you said it yourself time does have value)...it would pay huge dividends in the end to give him 10% off or something to say "hey sorry we value you as a customer and will take care of you"...that little thing will get you good word of mouth.