Managed to get 550 min family plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by physicistjedi, Jul 15, 2008.

1. physicistjedi macrumors newbie

I just managed to convince the AT&T customer service to downgrade my iPhone family plan to 550 minutes ($120). It should be available in the next billing cycle. I still doubt that everything will work smoothly but in any case I'll update you next month.

Cheers
    pj

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Ohh ohhhh I want to play!

I just scheduled payments on all three student loans.
    In about 3 minutes I'm going to make myself another drink.

3. alexmarchuk macrumors 6502a

alexmarchuk

I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Geico.

I'll update you next month to notify you of my rates!

4. physicistjedi thread starter macrumors newbie

:) People need some fun I guess.

Just for the record:
    Actually you can NOT buy a 3G iPhone with a family plan lower than 700 minutes and 550 minutes is not documented anywhere, so I thought I might share with others.

5. dave006 macrumors 68020

Actually the 550 is available in many markets. It depends on your Zipcode. It does have a limit of 3 lines of service instead of the 5 lines of service in the higher FamilyTalk plans.

Why did you need to convince the CSR, you either qualify for it or you don't based on your Zipcode? You can even do it self-serve in OLAM if it is listed, again based on your Zipcode.

6. physicistjedi thread starter macrumors newbie

On the launch day, Apple refused to sell me a 550 plan because it was not listed on their brochures or automated procedures. A nearby AT&T kiosk said that 550 plan is not available for the iPhone 3G.
    On the website, when I tried to change my plan, it cancelled one of the data plans and there was no way to add it again!
    On the phone, CSR first claimed that 550 is not available for iPhone and I needed to insist to make her talk to someone else and accept afterwards.
    I agree that it shouldn't have been that hard but it was.

pj

7. dave006 macrumors 68020

I am sorry that you had a difficult time with the CSR, it should have been a very simple change for them to make to your account. Please note that there is still alot of training that still needs to be done to cover every customer situation. Even employees are confused by the "iPhone" plans, everyone thinks that they are special rate plans when they are just the regular rate plans plus a data plan.

8. joekun macrumors regular

I purchased our phones at the apple store and didn't want to go through the hassle of trying to get the 550 min plan, so I just signed up for 700. After I got home I was able to go online and downgrade my plan to 550 minutes effective next month. That works for me.