Managed to lose 2 external screws - where to replace?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RealEvil, Jun 7, 2008.

1. RealEvil macrumors 6502

Hi,

I have a SR 2.4 MBP. I replaced the hard disk for a WD 320 (which worked great). Sadly, I stupidly lost 2 screws. Im talking about the very small screws which hold the top half of the case to the bottom base. There are 4 on either side of the MBP and 2 on the back.

I went to a Apple store today and the surly student who worked there told me I would have to order a whole new top half (which I assume is the trackpad/speaker grille section). I laughed and walked off.

Any ideas where I can get 2 new screws?

Neil

2. steeler macrumors regular

ifixit.com has screw kits (not always in stock) and eBay is another option.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Just bring a group of friends and a screwdriver to the Apple store, crowd around a computer and take 2 screws off.

Disclaimer: I sometimes make sarcastic remarks; do not follow my remarks if it sounds remotely illegal/unethical in any way.

4. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

I like that idea. :)

Email or call iFixit. I know they sell the screw kits, they probably have a couple screws they can sell you.

5. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

ifixit.com charges about 50$ for the set, i dont think they sell "just" what you need. Try a radio shack or even an electronics store.

yea and when your done, if youve lost hubcaps on your car, goto the dealership, and steal some off a new car.

come on :) im sure this was a joke, or at least hope it was.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

;)

7. RealEvil thread starter macrumors 6502

I did ask the guy in the Apple Store if I could take 2 screws from a display model - he said no. I suppose thats fair enough but it would have been nice (and great customer service) if he had of said yes. But I wasnt expecting it - just hoping.

Anyway, I will email ifixit.

I went to Maplin (like Radio Shack) and they have the correct thread size but the head is a different size so it would look wrong. :-(

Thanks guys.

Neil

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Oh you asked that? :eek:

Well you should have asked if he any extra screws in the back, because they do repairs at the store and they have to keep extra screws just in case they lose a few.