Management Parking Ticket

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by thatoneguy82, Feb 28, 2012.

1. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

So, this Saturday me, my sister and a friend got our cars towed away while we were at my brother's townhouse community. My brother forgot to let us know that they got notice that parking will be stricter. Mine and my friend's car was about 6" hanging into red and the rest was in regular space. My sister had hers in front of my brother's garage. It happened while were inside and it we were pretty loud and the is house faced away from the streets. My sister had my niece & nephew's car seats in there, 3yr/1yr old. Called tow company and a heated discussion with them and my sister-in-law. Didn't budge about releasing the cars until 8am (business day start). They were towed around midnight, and apparently 10 miles away! Finally, the guy let us pick it up after it was made known that the carseats were in there and other stuff needed for the kids, plus they had some activities planned occurring in the morning. Tow fee was a ridiculous $268 for having the car there until 2:30, towed 10 miles away.

Anyway, I noticed that there was a ticket on my windshield but it wasn't the "normal" one I've seen before (I've only gotten 1 but other friends). It was a citation for parking in the redzone for $50. No CA Vehicle Code listed or anything to do city/county/state law. So, I believe that it is just a citation for their private community's regulations. But, I'm unsure if this will appear on my DMV/driver record since I plan on renewing insurance and registration. It had my license plate and VIN and an address that wasn't mine. After the tow fee, I don't wanna shell out another $50. I probably will not be able able to park within the private community, if I don't. Is that the extent of it? Would there be any other citations in my record? As in if I park in an expired meter. Has anyone been in the same situation or have any knowledge about it?

Here's a copy of my citation:
    [​IMG]

Thanks!

2. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

It's just a parking ticket. Do they tag/tow cars in your state for parking tickets? If not, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

3. samiwas macrumors 65816

People get towed in our townhome community all the time. We have very simple parking regulations (which are needed), but some people simply refuse to abide by them. I'm pretty sure parking tickets, especially ones from a private community, do not appear on your record. It's a purely private matter.

4. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

the ticket must tell you where you're supposed to send the fine. Is it to a branch of the government? or to the management company? or who?

"DMV/driver record" ......are your referring to your drivers license record or the car registration record? It wont go on your drivers license record since it wasn't written against your drivers license.

5. Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

Generally, in Kalifornia, absent an MOU between the HOA and the local police agency, citations issued by a private company for violations on private property (exception: private off-street parking held open for the use of the public, such as shopping centers) are only enforceable by adding the fees due to the dues statement of the homeowner you were visiting. Generally a homeowner in a PUC is liable for his/her guest's violations.

A reading of the CC&Rs should confirm this.

The private issuing company, again- absent an MOU, can't run the plate or registration to determine the registered owner information. If I were you I'd offer to reimburse my friend if it gets added to his/her HOA bill. Otherwise, I'd wait to see if they were able to ID me and notify me that it was going to collections.

Of course, this is the Internet, so I know no specifics other than those you've outlined. YMMV.

6. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

No parking tickets in my condo community, you just get towed.

No fine, no tickets...just no car.

If you don't bother to read the condo rules...tough s***.

7. thatoneguy82 thread starter macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I'm pretty sure it's just the private management company. Especially since when I called the sheriff to report my car missing/stolen after I knew it was towed they let me know that they could enforce any rule they want. They couldn't really do anything to interfere with the security company. My driver's license was never taken just my license plate and VIN, but then again anyone can get that information.

Yeah, thing is the address on the citation is a different address from my brother's house. It had a different house number. So, that would make things more complicated if I choose to ignore this.

8. samiwas macrumors 65816

We don't have tickets either...they do have these stickers they put on your car to warn you that you will get towed if you don't move. They also keep track of repeat offenders. It's few and far between, but sometimes they go on a towing rampage. It's fun to sit out front and watch all the cars go bye bye.