Managing 2nd hdd in osx...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wallybman, Sep 20, 2012.

1. wallybman macrumors newbie

Okay, and I have a late 2011 15 inch i7 mbp. I have ordered a 240gb owc 6g ssd and data doubler. The plan is to put the ssd in place of the hdd and put the hdd in where the superdrive was. I will do an internet restore to install osx to the ssd. I will be using the hdd as a data drive shared between win7 and osx as a single partition. I want to use the ssd for ONLY the base os('es). How would I go about having my itunes library and my apps (like steam) be on the hdd? I'm still fairly new to osx, and so please use small words and simple instructions ;)

2. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

Back up iTunes library to the hard drive.

Quit iTunes.

Then relaunch iTunes while holding down the "Option" key. iTunes will ask you to direct it to a library. Select your hard drive iTunes library.

3. designs216 macrumors 65816

designs216

Sounds like you're heading for an awesome rig. Slightly off topic but if you want to get the most out the SSD, put not only your OSs but also your apps.

4. wallybman thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, and also thank you. I have it built about as much as I can without going to a new 2nd drive and swapping over to the 1680x1050 screen(which is cheap, but a LOT of work...). I have already upgraded to 16 gigs(8x2) of Corsair matched Mac memory. I use it as my daily, and I'm getting into hi-def video editing with my GoPro HD Hero 2, and I'm looking at trying my hand at doing some mixing using a Novation LaunchPad(which I don't have yet). The main problem is lack of basic storage space using this ssd. I want to set aside enough space for both windows 7 ultimate(bootcamp then parallels) and osx, but if I run almost everything on the ssd, I'll run out of space pretty quick.

5. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

I have mac os x and apps and windows on my SSD and my files (for mac) on the external hard drive.

If you go to preferences, accounts, right click on your own account (e.g. "arjen92") and then choose "advanced settings". Here you can set your homefolder. Choose the external hard drive, and all the standard folders (downloads, photos, movies, music, documents) AKA your homefolder, will be your extra HDD.