Managing 3 email addresses from iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by omizzle, Jan 5, 2009.

1. omizzle macrumors regular

Alright, I've been trying to find a solution to my problems for some time now, but my searches haven't yielded any results.

I have 3 main email accounts that I need on my iPhone 3G: @gmail, @me, and @indiana. I currently have all of them forwarded to my @me account so that they are pushed to my iPhone.

However, I would like to reply with the email address that the email was sent to. Right now I can only email from my @gmail and @me accounts. The only reason I can email from my gmail account is because when I was configuring the settings I only set the outgoing mail server and not incoming (So the same email wouldn't show up twice for @gmail and @me).

However, I cannot do the same with the @indiana account (it wont send or recieve unless both fields are filled out correctly). Is there a way I can email from these other two emails without "adding" them to my email list?

I know this is probably pretty confusing, so if you have any questions, just ask lol

Thanks

2. Daveecee macrumors regular

I don't understand. I have both incoming and outcoming mail servers set for my email addresses. They show up in my Accounts list once.

3. omizzle thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah me too, I didn't configure my incoming mail on my gmail account so that when I got an email it wouldn't show up as two emails (once on @me and @gmail), but I did configure outgoing settings so that I can still email from it.

4. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

I believe you need to define email accounts for all 3 on the iphone. However, the only one that has a valid inbox is me.com. The others are smtp only. When you reply to an email you need to change the from address to the correct smtp server.

5. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

omizzle,

Set the forwarding on gmail so the email is either deleted or archived at gmail. Then there will no emails when you check the gmail mail account.

S-

6. omizzle thread starter macrumors regular

Well I have tried this but IIRC my @indiana account wont work unless both are defined...

Sidewinder, the messages for gmail still show up as unread on the phone IIRC as well

7. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

omizzle,

Well, I did some testing. I have two mail accounts setup on my iPhone:

1. Is a gmail account. We'll use "xyz@gmail.com".

2. An IMAP account. We'll use "abc@test.com".

No matter what the actual "To:" address is for the email, when I respond, it sets the "From:" address to the email address from the account from which the email was actually was downloaded.

Here is an example of what I mean:

I setup my "xyz@gmail.com" account to forward email sent to it to my "abc@test.com" account and to delete the email once forwarded. Now I send a test message to my "xyz@gmail.com" account. I have my iPhone check for new email and one test message shows up in the "abc@test.com" account mailbox. No messages show up in the "xyz@gmail.com" account mailbox on my iPhone. The "To:" address of the test message is indeed "xyz@gmail.com". When I reply, the "From:" field is set to "abc@test.com".

Simply stated, the "From:" address on replies is set to the email address of the mailbox to which the email was delivered.

I am new to the iPhone so I may be missing something, but I see no way to get the iPhone to use the "To:" address as the "From:" address automatically unless the "To:" address is the same as the mailbox address.

S-

8. omizzle thread starter macrumors regular

This is what I am trying to do.

I have been messing around with it for a while tonight and I can't get it to do what I want. If you click "reply" and then you select the "Cc/Bcc, From" field, it drops down and if you then choose "from" you can select an email address from the accounts that you have on the phone. However, even if I select my @indiana account, it wont send from my @me account on my phone (although I can send emails from my @indiana account separately on my phone). It is strange that it wont send unless its from my @me account, even though I am given the option to select an email address to send from. I'm sure it's possible, but something is wrong.

So here is the dilemma: I need to be able to reply from my @indiana account to emails that are sent to it. I currently have my @indiana email forwarded to my @me account, but there is no option in my @indiana webmail (it is a Cyrus account) to archive the message (aka mark it as read so that when I check on my phone I don't get the same message twice).

Im sure it is possible to do what I want, its just a matter or how (isnt it always? lol)

Again that is pretty confusing and it is late, so if anyone needs clarifying just ask

Thanks

9. hobbbz macrumors 6502a

hobbbz

Why don't you just put all 3 in your phone straight up, mobile me will be the only push but the others can poll every 15 mins and kill the fwding.

Works well for me.

10. omizzle thread starter macrumors regular

My battery only lasts a little more than a day, if I had 2 emails polling every 15 minutes, it would surely die by dinner

11. haddman macrumors regular

Do you really want to check it every 15 mins even. Just set it to an hour and roll, I have to email accounts, 1 exchange, 1 gmail, fetch every hour, battery will last for 2-3 days.