Managing a MBP with SSD and external drives for data?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dreamsandart, May 9, 2010.

1. dreamsandart macrumors member

Managing a MBP with SSD and external drives for data?

Its come to the point of upgrading my 2007 MBP 2.4 to a new i7 that I'm thinking of ordering it with a SSD drive. Its the biggest 'hit' to increase performance it seems. Problem is the size of the SSD drives for cost. I can justify the 256GB model but not $1300 for 500GB which would be ideal, and even if I wait 6 months or so to get a 500GB I don't see the price coming down all that much. So...

Let say I order an APPLE SSD in my MBP and use it for a boot drive and some files. How do I configure/set-up the external drive to read its files for Aperture, iTunes, documents.... Thinking now is that I would use a WD 2TB external drive in RAID so I have the files on one 1TB and auto back-up on the other 1TB in one inclosure, and another 1TB drive for Time Machine.

This kind of limits my portability, so I'm also thinking I'd also have a portable larger HD to take with me when I need it. How do I sync the files I'm working on and adding to on one external drive with the other (as easy as possible)?

I may be thinking this all wrong, so any suggestions besides just the 'how to?' would be helpful.

2. Jimmi1321 macrumors newbie

Wondering same things here.

1 solution would be using an optybay in place of the superdrive.

here are some info from diablo2121 from this thread http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=902933

!

if you go this way it would work only when connected to the external HD...

I think i would use a 2,5 very portable 500gb firewire external drive.
    kepp there music and movies.

Use the 2X 1tb Raid HD for time machine of the ssd and a weekly clone (superduper) of the 500gb movie and music drive....