Managing drawing code

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by dantastic, Jul 3, 2013.

1. dantastic macrumors 6502

dantastic

I have just started using an app called PaintCode to generate drawing code from svgs. This works like magic, the app spits out a chunk of code that you stick in to the drawrect of a UIView subclass.

I've a whole bunch of images now that I need to move over to this new format and I'm not sure how to best manage this new method of working.

Up til now I would have an imageview and then I would load an image and put it into the imageview. Now I have a UIView subclass .h & .m file and all. I can of course create a UIView subclass for each image, that will work in IB and then in code I will have to import the UIView.h and draw it s a view.

As cool as this is it feels a bit unclean. I would like to have only one file and I don't want to import wherever just an image is needed.

Any suggestions how to manage this drawing code so it can be more used like an image would be? I realize I can render and save images but I want to avoid that.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

3. dantastic thread starter macrumors 6502

dantastic

The UIView subclasses feels like a better option. This opens opportunities to nicely animate images properly. As soon as you rasterize that goes out the window.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The UIView subclasses probably are a better option! But if you want something closer to using images you'll probably have to have images :p

5. dantastic thread starter macrumors 6502

dantastic

hehe, true! :)

I'm just trying to get my head around organizing this best in xcode and my project. It just feels a bit messy with this huge amount of UIView subclasses. I know that the end result is still less number of files (phone + pad * @2x) but still....

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I create a folder in the source tree in XCode for things like this so I could collapse it and make that complexity go away when I don't need to see it. You can create the folder at a file system level too if you like...

7. dantastic thread starter macrumors 6502

dantastic

Yes of course. I already do that, I keep the project organized in folders on the file system and then also in folders in xcode as well to match. Would quickly become a nightmare otherwise :rolleyes:

Maybe this isn't a much of a problem after. The only thing really is I have to run a #import in each file where I need to use some image. Or maintain a header file for images.

8. dantastic thread starter macrumors 6502

dantastic

So in my viewcontroller I can do
    Code:
    ImgView *myView = [[ImgView alloc] initWithFrame:CGRectMake(0, 0, 400, 400) imageName:@"MyImageView"];
    	[self.view addSubview:myView];

where ImgView is
    Code:
    @implementation ImgView

- (id)initWithName:(NSString *) imageName
    {
    	Class image = NSClassFromString(imageName);
    	NSAssert(image, @"Missing %@", imageName);
    	if (image) {
    		self = [[image alloc] init];
    	}
        return self;
    }

- (id)initWithFrame:(CGRect)frame imageName:(NSString *) imageName
    {
        self = [self initWithName:imageName];
    	self.frame = frame;
        return self;
    }

@end

Saves me from having to track imports manually.

9. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I'd worry about not calling the appropriate init methods in the superclass...

10. dantastic thread starter macrumors 6502

dantastic

super init is being called in the init of the actual image UIView subclass. So that should be alright. feels a bit hacky I agree and I'm not sure yet if I'm ok with it but so far I think it looks alright.

11. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I see what you are saying and I agree. I doubt you should call super init twice so you should do it this way no matter how wrong it looks!