managing files and backup

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by conamor, Dec 10, 2015.

1. conamor macrumors 6502

conamor

Good morning everyone,
    I hope I am posting this in the good section of the forum.

I would like to have some advice on managing MY files (ironic, isn't it) and backups.

I have this iMac (3TB fusion drive) and I just moved everything to an external 3 TB LaCie Porsche and I deleted all my Time Machine backup from my 3TB time capsule.

Since my HDD from my iMac is almost full, the Time Machine is not working properly since it gets full and can't delete old backups and redo a new one...

I am not sure what I should do about this.

The other thing is, I was wondering if I should have anything on my local drive? Should all my files be on an external hard drive or network drive and then I backup up that drive to another one every month/week and store in safely?

I could be using Carbon copy for that... but I am not sure if this is the right thing to do. Should I only have some type of files on the internal hard drive? music? aperture lib?

The thing is I am scared of thieves. If everything is on my imac and I don't want them to have access to my files.

Ok it has a password to get in but we all know how easy is to break a password... Should I encrypt only my internal drive?

Anyway, this is all I had on my mind for now and I hope you can make it clearer to me on best practices or how you are currently working.

Hope I can see the light at the end of the tunnel... Can't wait to finish to organize all my files/pictures/folder trees...

Thanks!

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Archive some files to an external drive. Round up all the files you haven't accessed in the last year and go through them to see what can be deleted and what you want to keep but are unlikely to need to access, delete what you can and archive what you can live without onto your external drive.

Also you can store your photos and videos and itunes library on the external to free up more space but then you'll want a backup system for that drive as well.

If you are scared of theives you would have an offsite backup as well because they could steal it all if it's all sat there together on your desk.

You would probably benefit from a 6TB NAS to keep a backup of all your drives.

3. conamor thread starter macrumors 6502

conamor

Thanks for this idea.
    Would you know if Aperture reads the pictures fast on the internal hard drive then one plugged via USB? Probably I believe...

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

The simple answer is yes.

The longer answer is depending on what you are using it for and what drive you are using it may make very little difference to your work.

A USB 3/thunderbolt SSD drive can run your OS and all your files from external with no real noticable slowdown, for example.