Managing glances

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by blackbear219, May 1, 2015.

1. blackbear219 macrumors regular

I'm having two issues that I can't settle on a comfortable solution on:

-Home screen app layout (that's a whole other story)
    -Glances

I have about a dozen glances active right now. I feel like that is too many, but when I look through the ones I have active I can't really identify any that I'd want to get rid of either.

With that many, it can be a pain to scroll all the way to the one of the right when you're all the way over to the left. Anyone else in a similar conundrum?

2. BillyTrimble macrumors 6502a

No. You decide what you want. More glances = more scrolling. Fewer glances = less scrolling. Be plentiful or be frugal. The choice is completely yours. Perhaps someday Apple will have a different way of dealing with glances. But for now, it is what it is. Live with it as best you can. Only you can prevent forest fires and only you can decides how to manage your glances.

3. Ready2000 macrumors newbie

I don't think there is a way to put your least used ones on the ends...(?)

4. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

I've come to the conclusion that I just don't need that many Glances. If only the Glances were vertical and Apple allowed you to use the crown to scroll through them, then it would be a different story.

So, here's how I came to knock off the ones I don't need:

I use the Modular watchface, and with it, I've added all the necessary pieces of information I want to see when I lift my Watch:
    • Calendar Summary
    • Specific World Clock
    • Temperature
    • Battery
    • Activity Summary

Now, because I can tap on each one of those to go to the app, the Glance for that app is no longer necessary.

----------

In the Apple Watch app, you can change the order of the Glances by dragging them around.

5. jannette, May 1, 2015
    Last edited: May 1, 2015

jannette macrumors 6502

It is possible to put them in the order you would like - go to Glances on the Watch app on the iPhone and you can drag them up and down with the three line symbols on the right side of the screen!:)

6. blackbear219 thread starter macrumors regular

I've looked at a similar strategy. However, for the battery I believe the only way to manually go into power reserve mode is with the glance, correct?

7. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Hold down the Side button until you see the options for "Power Off," "Power Reserve," and "Lock Device."

8. blackbear219 thread starter macrumors regular

Duh. Cool, thanks!

I do like being able to click on the temp in my watch face and be taken to the Weather app. But I also prefer Weather Underground so I wish there was a way to change which app it took you in to.

Minor complaints though. Love this thing overall!

9. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Whoops, shouldn't have left "Battery" in that list. Clicking on the battery value does not do anything, unlike the other ones that go into their appropriate apps.

----------

We've been waiting for those kinds of customizations on iOS for years. Nope, still same default mail, web browser, messaging, camera, photo gallery app in all Apple's.

10. Ready2000 macrumors newbie

11. sparkyms macrumors 65816

Good tip - just cut my glances down by half! :D

12. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Because "Date" and "Calendar" go to the same Calendar app on the Watch, I thought it was redundant to have both on the Modular screen. However, I'd still like to see the date and day of the week.

To that end, I sent a feedback to Apple at http://www.apple.com/feedback/watch.html to get them to remove the word "Calendar" and replace it with the short date "Friday, May 1." Since the second line implies the calendar event going on (if any), it makes the word "Calendar" completely unnecessary.