Managing Large Music Collections

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by gnortenjones, Dec 11, 2008.

1. gnortenjones macrumors regular

After drooling over the Star Trek-ishness of the ipod touch since they came out, I decided to sell my 80gb classic, and got the 32gb touch.

I like the touch, but am now presented with a problem, my music collection is larger than will fit on the ipod. So for those of you who are in the same situation, how do you manage the music you want to put on your ipod when you synch it?

Do you:

1) Create playlists, and have itunes just update those playlists.

2) "Synch only checked songs and videos"

3) Some other method?

Thanks.

2. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

Option 1 is your best bet, and will be easiest to implement.

3. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

I agree with Galley.

Just curious, how many songs do you have/what format?

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

My music collection is over 150GBs and I only have the 8GB iPhone. Generally I make playlists or just spend 15 minutes or so browsing my collection.

It is amazing what I forget I have sometimes, I come across some real gems I completely forgot I had just by doing a simple browse through.

5. mpshay macrumors 6502

I also had the same problem and went with option #1. Throw in a couple smart playlists and it is even easier to rotate the content on your ipod

6. gnortenjones thread starter macrumors regular

9000+ (40+gb), plus quite a few audiobooks. Formats mostly in mp3, but like I said, quite a few audio books. This represents close to 10 years worth of music (20 if you count pre-mp3 cd's), and I don't listen to quite a bit of it, so I'm actually considering purging some of it. Deleting mp3's just seems wrong somehow, kind of like burning books.

7. sangosimo Guest

sangosimo

create a smart playlist that randomly grabs 30gigs of music and sync that.