Managing Multiple Macs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pianodude123, Nov 4, 2007.

1. pianodude123 macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

Hello,
    I have a desktop and a laptop, and I would like to know how most of you, who have multple macs manage things like settings and documents. I think that .Mac can do this, but I do not want to pay that rip off price for .Mac, and it is slow for transferring files. Anyway, my main question is as follows:

How can I manage my desktop and laptop so that files that I edit while I am at home, (on my mac pro) get automatically updated on my Macbook Pro so that while I am at work, I can work on the same (updated) file. Then, when I return from work, that file updates itself (the more recent copy) onto the Mac Pro. I don't really want to use .Mac because that goes over the internet, and if I have to work with large files, then it is useless. However, I would also like my settings to be the same on both computers, so that I do not have to change settings twice on the two computers. This also goes for my iTunes library. If I rip a CD onto my Mac Pro, it would be nice if it could copy that same album, (and update playlists as well) onto the portable mac.

I was sort of hoping for a network syncing program like this in leopard (one of those "Top Secret" features,) but if there is any GOOD, (being the keyword) software that can do this... I'd like to know what you use. Thanks.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I tried searching, however there aren't really any keywords that work for this question.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I use Chronosync to keep my documents the same on all my macs.

3. pianodude123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

but does that work well over network? I cant seem to get the demo to work?

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

yes, i sync my macs over my LAN all the time - no direct connection needed