Managing music on 32Gig Touch when library is 50+Gig

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by dodmath, Sep 14, 2008.

1. dodmath macrumors newbie

Hello and thanks for any help I receive. I currently own a 60 gig Video Ipod that is full with music, pictures, video podcasts, contact info, etc:) I actually have more music that it can hold but the overflow is Christmas music, so of course I just leave that off until the holidays. My music is organized by many smart-playlists and manually built based on decade or genre or grouping of artists...and so on. So I can select to play or not to sync any type of music I choose.

Now, although my ipod works great I am really tempted to buy a 32 Gig Ipod Touch. I should just wait until they finally release a 64 Gig version but I am not sure if I would want to spent the extra $100 or so it will cost over the 32. My question...finally...is to those who have a music library larger than what the touch can hold. Is it possible and/or easy to let smart playlists randomly auto-fill with size limits and then auto-refresh later with new music? I have a shuffle too and you can just click auto-refill and you get new music on it without any real work. Or, must you manually select what tracks are put on your Ipod Touch and repeat each time you would like to get new music on your Ipod.

I hope I gave enough info and was clear enough for my first thread question:eek: Any tips or advice appreciated.

2. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

I haven't heard of such a function on the ipod touch (at least not the older generation, my brother denies there's something like that for his ipod touch). So I think no. (maybe a little bit useless, but you can decrease your library if you convert everything to mp3, expect if really want quality).

3. Avenger macrumors 6502a

I usually just pick and choose regular playlists to sync. This could be bothersome if you do't have the playlists properly segregated. I'm probably going to buy a nano as well so I'll sync a minimal set with it and a larger set wih my 32GB iPod touch. I could really use a 64 GB iPod touch, maybe it'll be a mid-year addition.

4. dodmath thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I have been playing with Itunes and it seems the only way to re-autofill a smart list is to set the size limit to zero and click autofill which will empty the list. Then re-set the size limit to desired size and click auto-fill again. I assumed there would just be a refresh button I could click like there is with the new genius feature. So if I wanted a randomized miniature version of my full set of organized lists that would fit onto a 32 gig Ipod I would have to do this two step process to every list...I don't see my self doing that very often. Why is there not a refresh button?!

Ok, since Ipod Touches have so much more control over the music than my old video Ipod is there a way to select...say play only music from 30's and 40's without having a predefined playlist? Maybe I could auto-fill one smartlist that just leaves out holiday music with a GB size limit that would fit and let the Genius select like music to play together:rolleyes:

Thanks for the responses...maybe I will get some more good ideas. Can you tell I really don't want to wait for a larger capacity Ipod Touch:D