Managing my photo librarys

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by degrotepeter, Jun 29, 2011.

1. degrotepeter macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I make a lot of photos and I have a hard time managing my librarys. I use both iPhoto and Aperture (Lightroom too but that doesnt work with librarys)

I find it annoying that I need to have a library for both Iphoto and Aperture. And I find librarys annoying overall.

Is there a way where I can just have my projects as folders in my "images" directory with the photos in it? So without using a library. I can't figure it out myself so I hope you guys can help me =]

Thanks in advance!

Peter

2. simsaladimbamba

Lightroom can have libraries while using photos stored in a folder system you specified.
    I have a library for every year and have subfolders in Finder (or on the external HDDs) for every year, month and day and location.
    Example:

External HDD
    > 2010​
    > 2010_05​
    > 2010_05_12_London​

3. emorydunn macrumors 6502

emorydunn

iPhoto and Aperture aren't really meant to be used in conjunction with one another. The basic idea is that you move from iPhoto to Aperture. That being said, iPhoto will only ever use libraries and that is that.

Aperture on the other hand can do what it calls a "referenced library", in other words, you manage the physical location of the photos and it handles the edits and other stuff it handles. In this way it functions much like Lightroom.
    The best part is you don't have to start completely over (unless you want to). You can simply import new photos per usual, but in the drop down choosing where to store the files simply select your own location.

I hope that helps.