Managing Notifications

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by djs71a, Oct 11, 2015.

1. djs71a macrumors newbie

I do not have an iOS device yet, just looking for how things work.

Let's say I want the phone sound notifications for only calls (or normal ringing) and text messages. I don't want email, espn, Facebook, etc notifications making sounds, but I do want to see them on the notifications area.

Is there an easy way to do this? And how easy is it to toggle between that and having all notifications make sounds?

It would be ideal if I could configure do not disturb to allow phone calls and a list of apps I specify (like messaging).

2. gixxerfool macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

If I recall correctly you should be able to go to Settings>Sounds and set what you want tone wise there. None can be selected at the top. Then you can go to notifications and set what type you want on a per app basis.

3. djs71a thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. It doesn't sound like it is a quick process. If I have a lot of apps then that is a lot of changing tones to none.

4. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Switching alert tones on and off is usually done within the apps themselves. Only alert sounds for things like phone/SMS/email/voicemail etc are accessed from the system sounds settings.

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

In the Settings app, under Sounds, you are setting default sounds for certain things, some of them system apps. In general you cannot modify the types of sounds apps make (that's usually set by the developer) but you can mute it.

To do that you'd make your changes in the Settings app under Notifications. But what you want is not directly achieveable except through continuous labor on your part. That's because Apple has made it an On/Off type of thing. There's no easy way to do it by flipping a single switch that activates/deactivates sound for specific apps or anything like that.

Do Not Disturb will either shut all notifications off (except alarms) or not. Except for phone calls you get no choice as to what apps ignore DND.

There may be some additional solutions via jailbreaking but currently there is no jailbreak for iOS 9.

6. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

You don't do it in the sounds settings like that poster suggested to you.

You go into settings > notifications and then you can set each app for showing on the lock screen, showing in Notification Center what type of on screen visual cue if you are using the phone when something comes in and if you want sound. (See image for an example for Facebook.)

Attached Files:

7. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Take the Whatsapp app for example. To adjust the alert sound I go into the app itself, then the settings. See screenshot.
    image.png

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Correct. But OP is asking for a simple way to flip a single switch that would turn sound on or off for just specific apps.

There is no way to do that except to go back into Settings as you have laid out and modify things. Again and again for each time OP wants sounds for those apps on or off.

There's simply no easy way to do this.

9. djs71a thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. That is the answer I was expecting, but was hoping I was overlooking something. Maybe in the future Apple will allow the user to specify apps to make notification sounds while in do not disturb mode. I think that would make possible what I am looking to do.