Managing OSX with 2 Hard Drives?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SpitUK, Oct 28, 2010.

1. SpitUK macrumors 6502

How do you guys do it?

I have just moved from a 2009 iMac with a single 1Tb drive to a 2010 iMac with a 120Gb SSD and a 2Tb 2nd Drive.

I used migration assistant for the applications and settings. Which worked fine apart from my itunes has none of my libraries or iPad, iPhone backups. How do I restore those?

The main problem is can you put the Downloads, Documents, Movies, Picture and Music system directories on the 2Tb Drive? So whenever I download anything thats where it will go, when I create movies they will be stored in the movies etc etc. Just want that seamless if its possible?

Anyone contemplating an SSD for the Mac, just go for it!!

2. dissolve macrumors 6502a

For your second question, you want to move your Home drive to the 2TB drive. Follow the instructions on the link below or search on Google for an alternate approach:

http://chris.pirillo.com/how-to-move-the-home-folder-in-os-x-and-why/

This will leave your SSD as a boot drive and the 2TB with your Home directory. A simpler solution would be to just use an alias for each folder you want on the 2TB drive. You may need to use symlinks instead of aliases though. Again, Google will help, but hopefully that gets you on the right track.