Managing PDF collection with multiple tags

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by monsieurpaul, Jan 8, 2014.

1. monsieurpaul macrumors regular

Hi,

I'm looking for a good solution to manage a PDF collection on an iPad using tags. My needs are as follows:

- Using multiple tags to search for PDFs: Most applications using tags that I've tried doesn't allow to use more than one tag for search. However I'm using a multi axial classification for organizing the PDF and I need to be able to search them with multiple tags. In fact I'm looking for a Yep equivalent for iPad.

- Reading PDF and basic annotating (highlighting + notes), but it could be done in another app if needed.

- Syncing, could be dropbox, gdrive, webDAV, iCloud (one can dream).

Until now, I have tested Goodreader, PDF Expert, iAnnotate, Documents. I really like their functionalities for reading and annotating, especially PDF Expert, but I can't search using multiple tags.

On the other hand, I have looked into reference manager, such as Sente, but they are conceptually a bit more complicated (references vs PDF) and I am still not satisfied by the search options. I haven't yet tried Papers 3.0, because I have the previous version and I heard a lot of bad reviews about the new version.

iPad apps are not very expensive, but at the end at the day I spend > 60 $ and I still haven't found a satisfying solution, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jojoba macrumors 68000

I don't know of any iPad apps in the category of GoodReader et al that can search multiple tags. Personally I use Bookends (which is similar to Sente), where all my pdfs are organised according to multiple tags, which in turn are sorted into smart groups where you can combine more than one search term. These are in turn synced from my mac to Bookends on Tap for iPad. I realise this probably isn't what you want, but it's the closest I've found. I've written more about Bookends here if you are interested:

http://macademise.wordpress.com/201...-management-some-useful-features-in-bookends/

http://macademise.wordpress.com/2013/01/23/managing-your-research-literature-sente-versus-bookends/

Another alternative could be to use Evernote. Even though it's not a pdf reader per se, you could theoretically just make a note for every pdf. Evernote is excellent for searching multiple tags. I think they also have annotation features now, although I've never tested that out myself.

Not quite what you're after, but I'm not sure what you're after actually exists.

3. monsieurpaul thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for your answer. I really like the tag cloud in Bookends. Does it also exist in the iPad version ?

4. hoanghacn macrumors newbie

I think it is not easy! Can we use any software to manage?

5. jojoba macrumors 68000

Unfortunately, no. On the iPad you can't search by keyword (I only realised this now as I had a look), so you'd have to organise tagged literature in smart groups on the mac and then sync to iPad.